• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This PCGS thing IRKS me!

50 posts in this topic

Here is a new collector ATS looking for advice. That's fine but he must have only been lurking in the shadows there. Household Royalty!!! :pullhair:

My first rant in a long time!

I'm not sure I follow. What, exactly, irks you?

I'm not sure if you're just pulling my leg Mike. I don't think PCGS is any better than NGC. I can't understand how a new collector can come in with no knowledge asking for help and already incinuating that PCGS is the Top TPG. I doubt that ATS will open his eyes a little wider to see the whole picture either.

This is the line in his post that upsets me. That's all!!

"Based on what I've read, PCGS is the household 'royalty' if you will when it comes to grading, and then NGC".

Is that all ... Its done over there all the time ..

Take my advice .. Don't go over there.

I have stopped accept to sell my Items

or Promote a good causes ...

Which I might add have had ZERO ... did you hear me ZERO support or comment for my cause ...

I could say more but I will regress ...( Or BOB is it Digress ... regret ... hm ... digest ... arrghhh ... REFRAIN!!! I think I got it )

hehhe

I could say more but I will regress ... ( Bob regress Or Digress ) )

I ain't never herd of them thar big ol werds, Mike. I nevur wint to collij neether. :grin:

Sorry, Bobby, didn't mean to hijack your thread. It is sort of irritating that when something is repeated often enough, it becomes accepted as fact.

Koolaid is a powerful thing.

What, exactly, does koolaid have to do with PCGS? I've never understood this term when used on the NGC boards about ATS. Can you eleborate? :grin:

It's an (incorrect) reference to Jonestown, Guyana, where a bunch of people committed mass suicide at the direction of their leader. They drank poison in Flavor Aid which is like Kool Aid, but not the same.

What, exactly, does koolaid have to do with PCGS? I've never understood this term when used on the NGC boards about ATS. Can you eleborate? :grin:

It's an (incorrect) reference to Jonestown, Guyana, where a bunch of people committed mass suicide at the direction of their leader. They drank poison in Flavor Aid which is like Kool Aid, but not the same.

Yes, but Koolaid is much easier to say and sounds better.

I'm not sure I follow. What, exactly, irks you?

I'm not sure if you're just pulling my leg Mike. I don't think PCGS is any better than NGC. I can't understand how a new collector can come in with no knowledge asking for help and already incinuating that PCGS is the Top TPG. I doubt that ATS will open his eyes a little wider to see the whole picture either.

Thank you for the explanation.

Don't you think it is possible that as a noob he just doesn't know any better?

Remember, we all had to start somewhere... :D

Respectfully...Mike

p.s. you're right they are unlikely to do much to sway his opinion.

This is the line in his post that upsets me. That's all!!

"Based on what I've read, PCGS is the household 'royalty' if you will when it comes to grading, and then NGC".

That is kind of a ridiculous statement, and an unfortunate bias. It's too bad that so many folks are so caught up in what/who is "number one", whether it's relevant or not.

If PCGS is "royalty," then the emperor is missing most of his clothes.

I agree with you Bobby but I’m not terribly upset about this incident. What I get most upset by is when PCGS posters cross the street and try to do PCGS’s work of silencing PCGS critics and censuring threads here on the NGC boards.

In reference to the Jonestown event, many people in various circles who have investigated this thoroughly, now feel that many refused the "kool aid" and were injected against their will. So just hanging out with the wrong bunch can put you in the wrong place at the wrong time-therefore don't go to the "Other Side" the force might not be with you.

Bobby-as to your rant-everyone is allowed an opinion and you must agree if anyone just lurked on either forum and read the various opinions they might have read many times that PCGS sold higher than any other TPG. If you were a beginner and knew nothing about the TPG's you might think the same. Until the sold prices are equal this will occur. JMO

I agree with you Bobby but I’m not terribly upset about this incident. What I get most upset by is when PCGS posters cross the street and try to do PCGS’s work of silencing PCGS critics and censuring threads here on the NGC boards.

Ditto. (tsk)

I must have missed those posts. Too bad, as it sounds as if it might have been fun. :) Links?

I must have missed those posts. Too bad, as it sounds as if it might have been fun. :) Links?

Yeah, I would like to see such threads --- they would be interesting reading. :grin:

Based on what I've read, PCGS is the household 'royalty' if you will when it comes to grading, and then NGC.

What do you expect on the PCGS forum?

Rather than gripe about something so trivial why not invite the poster, DoubleGoldEagles1, to the NGC boards?

What, exactly, does koolaid have to do with PCGS? I've never understood this term when used on the NGC boards about ATS. Can you eleborate?
The following used to appear on threads ATS. I'm not sure if it still does. Basically it means people really like PCGS.

koolaidman.jpg

What, exactly, does koolaid have to do with PCGS? I've never understood this term when used on the NGC boards about ATS. Can you eleborate?
The following used to appear on threads ATS. I'm not sure if it still does. Basically it means people really like PCGS.

koolaidman.jpg

Not really. It usually is a sarcastic response to, for example, anyone who says they only buy PCGS coins.

Truthfully, the mantra espoused ATS is usually "buy the coin, not the holder", and many threads discuss NGC in a positive light, and PCGS in a negative light (constructively, not in a "bashing" way that gets one banned).

I don’t recall the names of the threads to find them. A few weeks back a number of threads from ATS were linked into the NGC board. The threads pertained complaints against PCGS grading policies and practices and the question was how long they would last ATS. There were a couple of posters from ATS that came over and called it childish to watch how long they would last and reminded us that we are “guests in the forums.”

The “guest” thing is total hogwash yet must have come from somewhere because I’ve heard it repeated many times. There are free chat boards about any topic and no topic and they aren’t created out of the goodness of someone’s heart; they are created for financial gain. I’m not saying I dislike the boards or hold it against the boards for having ads, but I’m not under any illusion that they aren’t here to make money…

Truthfully, the mantra espoused ATS is usually "buy the coin, not the holder", and many threads discuss NGC in a positive light, and PCGS in a negative light (constructively, not in a "bashing" way that gets one banned).

Actually, I think the mantra is "buy the coin, not the holder, but the nicest and best coins are always in PCGS holders so those are the only ones you should look at". There is very little unbiased chatter over there. It is not only very pro-PCGS, but also anti-NGC/ICG/ANACS. Pro-PCGS is fine if that's what you like, but anti-NGC/ICG/ANACS is just being a clueless Kool Aid drinker.

Actually, I think the mantra is "buy the coin, not the holder, but the nicest and best coins are always in PCGS holders so those are the only ones you should look at". There is very little unbiased chatter over there. It is not only very pro-PCGS, but also anti-NGC/ICG/ANACS. Pro-PCGS is fine if that's what you like, but anti-NGC/ICG/ANACS is just being a clueless Kool Aid drinker.

I agree Greg. I've seen coins in both holders and respect both slabs. I don't think that one is over the other.

Pro-PCGS is fine if that's what you like, but anti-NGC/ICG/ANACS is just being a clueless Kool Aid drinker.

Actually pro-PCGS is about the only thing you can post over there if you don't want to get kicked off the site. As for anti NGC/ICG/ANACS, it's like the old days in the Soviet Union and probably the new days in Russia. You can stand up a street corner and call the American president a :censored: BUT if you called the Russian leader or the Communist Party boss a :devil:, it's off to Siberia