• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seen this link to Cent ATS

17 posts in this topic

Yes, I believe the coin is real. I'm not so sure the color is natural, but high-grade large cents from this date/variety (N-13 IIRC) are common. They are part of the Randall Hoard, a group of large cents from the late 1810s and early 1820s that were found in a few kegs years later...Mike

p.s. here's a post I made some time ago on the Randall Hoard: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1535672/site_id/1#import

Is this coin for real? I've never seen one in this condition.1820 Cent

I would like to see some that are this nice if anyone has any!!

Wow Bobby that one is a little better than my 182? large cent. :o:roflmao:

Picture020-12.jpg

Picture019-3.jpg

The ebay lot in question looks like it was certainly stripped at one point and would likely bag at NGC or PCGS. However, the 1820 large cent is a famous cent because of the Randall Hoard, which had many large cents of this date. Typically, the pieces that have not been disturbed either have pronounced spotting or light, mild spotting and are generally much deeper in color. Here is one that I own-

B1820N66BN.jpg

B1820N66BNR.jpg

I will read the other replies after I post this, but that coin does NOT look natural to me - the color is definitely off (due to a cleaning or whatever) in my opinion.

I'm not one for slabbing everything but I do wonder why this $1,500 coin hasn't been reviewed by professional graders hm
Perhaps it was reviewed, and if so, rejected for grading/slabbing.

p.s. FWIW, here's my example, and yes, I'd trade it for Tom's. ;)

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

Although they are rumored to exist, I don't think I've ever seen a Randall Hoard cent without some spotting. Here's a second shot of the reverse showing the blue-green color often seen on these cents (and can also be seen in Tom's example above):

medium.jpg

And yes, that's an example of a naturally-occuring shade of blue on copper, take note that the shade (more of a sky blue-green) is very different from those curated with MS70 (more of an electric sky blue) .

I'm not one for slabbing everything but I do wonder why this $1,500 coin hasn't been reviewed by professional graders hm

My guess is the vast majority of Randall coins are not certified. One thing to remember is that actually, many of the coins from the Randall hoard were in horrible shape - corroded, spotted, and just plain ugly. In fact, when originally discovered, a large percentage of the coins were basically thrown away, since they were fused together from long time corrosion.

If I see a Randall coin without spots, I'm immediately suspicious. A very few are not spotted, but they are extremely rare.

Here's one of mine, spots and all:

b181753.jpg

Great points, particularly the last one.

My guess is the vast majority of Randall coins are not certified. One thing to remember is that actually, many of the coins from the Randall hoard were in horrible shape - corroded, spotted, and just plain ugly. In fact, when originally discovered, a large percentage of the coins were basically thrown away, since they were fused together from long time corrosion.

If I see a Randall coin without spots, I'm immediately suspicious. A very few are not spotted, but they are extremely rare.