• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

please delete this post :(

33 posts in this topic

no when i noticed the transfer request i went to go do it and they already had done it! WITHOUT MY PERMISSION! they did it not me! hense the "if we were wrong let us know" part of mesege. today was the first i had seen the request!
I'm still confused. In your first post you appeared to state that on the 15th you accepted the transfer request and that you received an email the next day confirming that it had been done.:

on the 15th there was an email asking for transfer of coin. so i clicked on the accept link...

.. so i looked at my next mesege which was the day after (16th) and here is what i found.

"Hello,

We just processed a request by ToddH66 to add the 1880 USA - $5 MS S coin with cert number 2510638-002 to their Registry coin list.

The same thing happened to me, but frankly it didn't matter because I know that the coin was no longer mine. I would have deleted the coin myself, but honestly I no longer know how to do that since NGC changed the way the registry works about a year or two ago. Certainly if I had not sold the coin, then it would have been a serious problem and I expect that NGC would have done an investigation and come to the bottom of the matter. The practice is reasonable (waiting and then transferring if the seller does not respond) though the time frames are questionable. Is 24 hours too short? What about 3 days? And my situation was not caused by spam folder issues, but the fact that it went to an e-mail address I only check once a week, since for the life of me I haven't been able to change my e-mail address on the registry ever!

You stated in your first post in this thread that you clicked the "Accept" link, which therefore automatically generated a response to you that the coin had been allowed to transfer. However, in the email you posted, NGC also gives you the option of "Reject" and you could have done that instead. If you had chosen "Reject" then you would likely have had a different automatic email generated. Regardless, you would not need to send the coin to NGC to prove you own it, you could simply send them an acceptable scan or digital image of the slab.

"The Great Communicator" Ant is not.

He tried to click Accept, but it wasn't necessary, as the coin had already been transferred. He got an e-mail the 15th requesting his permission to transfer ownership. He got another e-mail on the 16th saying "we transferred ownership." He never authorized the transfer, despite his attempt to do so on the 17th, when he actually read these messages. Hence the reason he's upset, that the coin was transferred without his approval.

All of this was not at all clear in his first post, but it is my understanding of the situation.

Seems like you're making a mountain out of an ant hill.

I've often received coins that are still in another's registry set. I've always appreciated NGC's promptness in this regard.

If you no longer own the coin then what's the big deal? If you still owned it and NGC made a mistake then just contact them and they'll make it right.

It appears to me that you've broken out the whole armory when a B-B gun would have done the job in clearing up this issue.

:P

"The Great Communicator" Ant is not.

:) So true -

Ant - They are setup more to have you refuse than accept - If you do not REFUSE in 24 hours it automatically gets transferred BECAUSE of instances of lost email.

95% of all request to transfer are legit and thier system just compensates for us 'twits' that forget to remove them from our 'ownership' or 'registry's' - In Fact a lot of people do not even know how to remove ownership and just remove coins from registrys. They are separate options and ownership is not removed when removed from the registry.

Hope this helps clear up your confusion.

Ant - They are setup more to have you refuse than accept - If you do not REFUSE in 24 hours it automatically gets transferred BECAUSE of instances of lost email.

I don't use the registry. However, this seems like an extremely short time frame. In the event that the transfer request is in error, how is it fair to only give a day to read the e-mail and respond? A lot of regular people aren't on their computer every day. Perhaps a week would be more fair, to ensure time for the person to get to their computer and read their e-mail. Perhaps it should be a month.

Regardless, it also seems to be a problem that all it takes to transfer ownership on the registry is for a person to tell NGC they have the coin, then wait a single day for the transfer to take place. If I was the victim of a false transfer because NGC assumed I got an e-mail, I would be hopping mad.

I don't use the registry. However, this seems like an extremely short time frame. In the event that the transfer request is in error, how is it fair to only give a day to read the e-mail and respond? A lot of regular people aren't on their computer every day. Perhaps a week would be more fair, to ensure time for the person to get to their computer and read their e-mail. Perhaps it should be a month.

Regardless, it also seems to be a problem that all it takes to transfer ownership on the registry is for a person to tell NGC they have the coin, then wait a single day for the transfer to take place. If I was the victim of a false transfer because NGC assumed I got an e-mail, I would be hopping mad.

If there is a conflict then there comes proof of ownership .. Pretty simple concept

But still, if such a scenario happened, you'd expect the victim to be upset. Why should he have to prove ownership when the other party has done something wrong? It's like saying you're guilty until proven innocent.

What steps would one have to follow for "Proof of Ownership"? I think that the person already owning the coin shouldn't have to do anything within one days time. I think it would have to be the person requesting to be the new owner that would need to prove ownership. I agree with Adam, one day is not sufficient enough time for someone to have to respond to ownership of a coin.

I have had an email before from NGC saying that someone wanted to register a coin that I still had/have in my posession. I wish I could remember the time limit that was set but I don't and I did reply with a rejection and never heard anything else back.

Ant, what's with the frowns?

If anything, in the case of a dispute or lack of response from the original owner, it should be the new owner that has to prove ownership.

This would be my call. How does the Original owner proof Ownership of a coin no longer in their possession?I would think that the cases of a fraudalent transfer are rare and therefore it shouild be on the person requesting the transfer to prove it.

I am still a little confused as the Original Post is missing/deleted.

Did Ant actually sell the Coin and is not happy with the mechanics of the transfer or did somebody request transfer of the Coin which was not in their possession?

How about a case where ANT sold the coin on E Bay and the person buying the Coin entered the Certification number before Ant had sent it or the Purchaser had received it?

i didnt want this to continue cause it seemed only 2 people knew what i was saying. im a little more calm today so i can explain a little.

i did trade coin! it went to an awsome collector that was happy enough with it to regester :) . all i was saying is that before me myself and i could accept the transfer, it had already been done. im glad it went to who it was saposed to :) i was just saying the emails were 8 hrs apart (from request of transfer - transfer done) and i wasnt the one initiating the transfer.

again i was just letting people know to watch for it that it did happen. just cause i had traded the item doesnt mean that whoever transfered it could do it without me being the one saying "yes i know the person who has it". just the fact that it happened (pretend i didnt trade it) is what is upsetting.

* and in the past i had had problems with people trying to transfer certs of coins i WAS selling on ebay and had not sold yet. to answer the question from above.

I have had an email before from NGC saying that someone wanted to register a coin that I still had/have in my posession. I wish I could remember the time limit that was set but I don't and I did reply with a rejection and never heard anything else back.

see it happens! and this time IF i hadnt traded it, it would have been transfered without my knowledge! thats all im saying.