• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1866 Three Cent Nickel Opinions Needed.

6 posts in this topic

Please if you would offer me your opinions as to what has caused this coin to have this grainy look. In hand and with a 6X mag glass it appears normal with smooth fields and of course the wear on the hair. After Photographing it, this appears as if it has had an acid bath or weird cleaning. I am not sure exactly what has occured to this coin and would like your opinions. Also, if you continue to enlarge the photo all different colors start to appear, greens, purples, pinks, yellows. Thanks, Jim

1866ThreeCentNickel.jpg

Jim, is this your pic or a sellers pic? If a sellers pic, this could be a low digital picture causing the color and grainy issues. If this is your pic, it could also be too low of a quality pic. The only reason I'm hanging on to the picture quality is because of the color issues you're seeing also.

I have noticed that some 2x2 mylar windows have a grainy look to the plastic when viewed through a loupe, might this coin be in one of those holders and could the camera be picking up this effect? hm Please note that I am not an image guru so this thought might be worthless.

Tom,

You were right, I took it out of the mylar 2x2 and voila, grain gone. Thanks to Bobby and Iby who also responded.While the first photo was not mine, I have never had this occur before and have photo'd hundreds of coins in the 2x2's. I'll not make that mistake again.

Thanks,

Jim