• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

accented hair?

51 posts in this topic

so if i were geting this graded for reasale i should send to ncs first? how much is there cost? its kinda confusing.
Call them and ask.

They will send it to NGC when they are done..

I don't see this costing more than the min amount but get it from them..

This is definitely a AH variety looks to me that it would Cameo at NGC definitely not DCAM it looks like it needs a bath I would not send it to NCS but that's me. For a 68 grade the fields need to be clean and free from hairlines. Here is a pic of my NGC 68 Cam AH, Note all the scuff marks on the obv are on the slab. Either way nice pick up Ant! (thumbs u

ngc1gu8.jpg

ngcal7.jpg

This is definitely a AH variety looks to me that it would Cameo at NGC definitely not DCAM it looks like it needs a bath I would not send it to NCS but that's me. For a 68 grade the fields need to be clean and free from hairlines. Here is a pic of my NGC 68 Cam AH, Note all the scuff marks on the obv are on the slab. Either way nice pick up Ant! (thumbs u

ngc1gu8.jpg

ngcal7.jpg

That puts my 68 Cam to shame... :sorry:

Stunning coin dude... :popcorn:

since i opened the set i figured why not the others. would this dime cam?

scan0116.jpg

scan0117.jpg

No... But since you brought up the dime..I believe it's a pointed 9 rosie and that is a tell as well for finding sets with AH Halfs...

I have never seen a pointed 9 dime that didn't have a AH Half..( Something I also picked up from Russ).

According to RUSS it has to have 'all' diagnostics to be an accented hair.

Again in hand things may appear different

The AH has to do the the OBVERSE die only. While many/most/all might also have some certain die characteristics on the reverse, the ONLY characteristic required for this variety is that of the obverse hair definition. Reverse die diagnostics should only come into play if you're looking for counterfeits.

I don't believe that the dime is a pointed nine variety. I have one of these and the point is pretty well noticiable. I had a pic but it's on my other pc that's sitting in storage right now.

Nice AH ant. Looks like it'll CAM for sure. I would give it a quick dip though before sending in.

ngc1gu8.jpg

ngcal7.jpg

That's a really nice CAM. If it weren't for the minute luster breaks I could see that making DCAM easy.

According to RUSS it has to have 'all' diagnostics to be an accented hair.

Accented Hair refers to a feature on the obverse die. How could using a different reverse change a diagnostic feature on the obverse die? It would be a different die variety, but it would still be an Accented Hair. It's like the 1804 spiked chin half cents. It comes with five different reverse dies but they are all still spiked chin.

Google is your friend: All you need to know, and then some

Diagnostics are on BOTH sides of the coin ... Need also a better picture of the Obverse

Actually, the original obverse image, alone, was quite sufficient to make the determination. And (thank god) I'm not even a Kennedy nerd. ;)

Dont tempt me!!! :insane:(tsk)lol

Hey , great post and find Ant !

I got out my 1964 PC sets and went through them again and found that I have 2 transitional pieces with the (I GUESS) type 2 obverse and the TYPE 1 reverse ...in other words , non AH obverses ( the hair lines are there , but the 'I" is not blunted) , but reverses with the broken rays and straight 'G' of the inititals .

I wonder if these are ever going to be like the Ikes with the 1972 and it's three main varieties ?

-John

Thanks for this information too, the photo and the link to those who followed.

I actually just submitted a couple of 1964 Proof Kennedys to NGC and wasn't sure how to tell an "Accent Hair" variety, but I had good coins, so I wanted them to check for the variety.

The good news is that "Accent Hair" is one of the varieties for which NGC does not charge their $7/$10 per coin Variety Plus service charge -- it's a freebie review, so no reason not to ask for it.

M