• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My apologies to the NGC forum

23 posts in this topic

Recently I've been a bit worried and obessing about my gold angel coin I bought. This happens with every gold coin I buy.

Right now I'm pretty mad at myself, for my unwillingness to learn new things. A member told me that ever since I was goldcoinlover ATS, I'm repeating the same things, saying the same things about gold coins. That i really haven't learned anything. This is probably true. I wish I had learnt more about coins, I've read Coin collecting for dummies, PCGS guide to grading and counterfeit detection, and bill fivazs book on counterfeit gold coins. But can I actually spot one? No way. Repeating depressions seem too hard to find.

I hope to actually go to the ANA national money show and take a course. Then I will actually know something. I'm sorry everyone for wasting your time, asking stupid questions, and worrying about things that I shouldn't worry about. I've pushed people to the edge, made people mad at me, been banned from many forums, and the forum members here take my worrying antics very nicely, and I appreciate that.

I don't think I've learned anything since I've been here. I don't think I'm good at anything.

My deepest apologies to the forum members here for putting up with me.

:sorry:

Nothing to apologize for, except too many apologies. :)

Your tone has changed, but your enthusiasm hasn't. I'd say that's a good thing.

Don't be so hard on yourself. In this case there's no need, IMO.

Take a deep breath, stare at some of your coins, and get a good night's sleep. Try not to get down on yourself. Tomorrow is another day...Mike

I'd be willing to bet that you've learned more than you think, Kevin, you just don't realize it yet. Depression can make you see things differently than they really are, and not see things that are really there. You just hang in there, Buddy! :)

I can definitely say that you have learned plenty in your time here with us. I have seen it in your posts. Yeah, you still worry a bit. But that's okay. You are nothing like the person you were when you first joined us. And that's a good thing :thumbsup:

Wow, you guys are so supportive. ATS, on the PCGS forums if I posted this they would've ripped me to shreds.

Thank you

Well, if that's what you want... (makes ripping sound as he rips Stinky to shreds and steals all his gold *sparkle *sparkle) ;)

Thanks, Stinky, for being part of our forum. And if you feel that you've not learned anything that's sad, because you've added to many conversations on this board that would make you missed if not here. Give yourself more credit and the esteem will follow. I've sure learned from you, "DON'T SCREW WITH GOLD, CAUSE IT WILL MAKE YOU WORRY TOO MUCH!" That and I can't afford it. lol

I wish I had learnt more about coins, I've read Coin collecting for dummies, PCGS guide to grading and counterfeit detection, and bill fivazs book on counterfeit gold coins. But can I actually spot one? No way. Repeating depressions seem too hard to find.

We can only do what we can do, and it sounds as though you're making a good effort to educate yourself. Perhaps "repeating depressions seem hard to find" only because they weren't there to see on any of the coins that you examined. You can't see what's not there! Perhaps the next step is to find someone who is willing to show you some coins that have been identified as counterfeit.

I don't think that there is any question that is tto stupid to ask if you don't understand the area.

It just depends on the learning curve and how you use the information to better that knowledge.

I think that we have all learned and bettered our knowledge of Coins through the many talented members of the Forum.I can' t respond to other Forums as I don't frequent them. It seems to me that there is more than enough experience represented on this Board.

I think that improvement also includes you and you should not become depressed and./or discouraged .I would just give it a little more time.

I don't think that there is any question that is tto stupid to ask if you don't understand the area.

It just depends on the learning curve and how you use the information to better that knowledge.

I think that we have all learned and bettered our knowledge of Coins through the many talented members of the Forum.I can' t respond to other Forums as I don't frequent them. It seems to me that there is more than enough experience represented on this Board.

I think that improvement also includes you and you should not become depressed and./or discouraged .I would just give it a little more time.

I absolutely agree with Chabsentia here Kevin. I just wish that I had your tenacity when i was your age. Collections take a lot of different roads as interest dictate. While gold is certainly alluring, there are so many other coins that one could focus on. And I might add some of these are a lot less worrisome. (thumbs u

Breath deep, relax and enjoy the hobby. :cloud9:

Buyer's remorse is common; counterfeit coins (tsk) are not. If you purchase from a reputable source they will stand by the coin as being legitimate and will refund your money if it is not. Most of the people I have purchase have such a policy.

By all means continue to read and learn all that you can about coins. These forums are a great place to increase one's knowledge (thumbs u

I agree with all here Kevin. Relax. I'm sure if you was to go back and look at all your posts, how many have changed from the beginning til now. There's no such thing as a dumb question here. Not all are as smart as the smartest person. We learn at our own pace. Keep the pace that you feel comfortable with and the knowledge will be well recieved. Push yourself too fast, and the knowledge will pass right by you.

Don't sweat it.

Agreed. Don't get too down on yourself, just continue to try to educate yourself and learn from mistakes.

You certainly have learned quite a bit, but there certainly is much more to learn -- no one knows everything. Counterfeit detection on US Gold is very difficult and can take a lifetime to master.

You're cool in my book. (thumbs u

Cool with Easy, cool with the cat... :headbang:

No need for any "mea culpa" stuff. :makepoint:

Right on. Ditto, my brother !

Don't sweat it.

Agreed. Don't get too down on yourself, just continue to try to educate yourself and learn from mistakes.

You certainly have learned quite a bit, but there certainly is much more to learn -- no one knows everything. Counterfeit detection on US Gold is very difficult and can take a lifetime to master.

Yes, it makes me wish I was an expert authenticator for NGC, that would be cool :)

Don't know how those guys do it so well.

I agree that counterfeit detection is difficult. There's so much to look for, I have bill fivazs book but also I cannot seem to spot small flaws like depressions, toolmarks, etc.

Mea culpa is a Latin phrase that translates into English as "my fault", or "my own fault". In order to emphasize the message, the adjective "maxima" may be inserted, resulting in "mea maxima culpa," which would translate as "my most (grievous) fault."

The origin of the expression is from a traditional prayer in the Mass of the Roman Catholic Church known as Confiteor (Latin for "I confess"), in which the individual recognizes his or her flaws before God. The "mea culpa," as the Confiteor has come to be known popularly, is not simply a confession of sins, but rather an admission of one's flawed nature and the willingness to make amends for it.

In popular jargon, the expression "mea culpa" has acquired a more direct meaning, in which, by doing or performing a "mea culpa", someone admits to having made a mistake by one's own fault.

Latest over used twist is "my bad."

Got Latin? ;)

Confiteor Deo omnipotenti,

beatæ Mariæ semper Virgini,

beato Michæli Archangelo,

beato Ioanni Baptistæ,

sanctis Apostolis Petro et Paulo,

omnibus Sanctis, et vobis, fratres (et tibi pater),

quia peccavi

nimis cogitatione, verbo et opere:

mea culpa,

mea culpa,

mea maxima culpa.

Ideo precor beatam Mariam

semper Virginem,

beatum Michælem Archangelum,

beatum Ioannem Baptistam,

sanctos Apostolos Petrum et Paulum,

omnes Sanctos, et vos, fratres (et te, pater),

orare pro me ad Dominum Deum nostrum.

Amen.

Mea culpa is a Latin phrase that translates into English as "my fault", or "my own fault". In order to emphasize the message, the adjective "maxima" may be inserted, resulting in "mea maxima culpa," which would translate as "my most (grievous) fault."

The origin of the expression is from a traditional prayer in the Mass of the Roman Catholic Church known as Confiteor (Latin for "I confess"), in which the individual recognizes his or her flaws before God. The "mea culpa," as the Confiteor has come to be known popularly, is not simply a confession of sins, but rather an admission of one's flawed nature and the willingness to make amends for it.

In popular jargon, the expression "mea culpa" has acquired a more direct meaning, in which, by doing or performing a "mea culpa", someone admits to having made a mistake by one's own fault.

Latest over used twist is "my bad."

Got Latin? ;)

Confiteor Deo omnipotenti,

beatæ Mariæ semper Virgini,

beato Michæli Archangelo,

beato Ioanni Baptistæ,

sanctis Apostolis Petro et Paulo,

omnibus Sanctis, et vobis, fratres (et tibi pater),

quia peccavi

nimis cogitatione, verbo et opere:

mea culpa,

mea culpa,