• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ng thingNEWBIE Needs Help! Is This a die to strike morgans?

22 posts in this topic

Please be easy on me, I'm new to the whole coin collecting thing. I receintly came across what appears to be a reverse die from the New Orleans mint for a Morgan Dollar. It is about 4"x4" with 6 holes. Heavy metal with copper like finish. The image is the reverse of a morgan with the "O" mintmark. It has not been defaced. I am wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction to find out more about it. I have searched the web for a picture of a Morgan die but to no avail. Obviously I do not know much about Morgans or coins in general and I am hoping that someone from the expert side of being in the know can help. I will also post a picture if interested and someone can tell me how to do it.

Thanks for any help.

You really need to post a picture in order for anyone to help you. "4 x 4 with 6 holes does not sound like a U.S. mint coinage die. Beyond that we really need a picture to guess what you have.

Welcome Lootfinder! Here is a link to a morgan die. These seem to have been very rare and doesn't sound like what you are describing.

I thought I'd bump myself because I think we posted\at the same time Lootfinder.

Thanks bsshog40,

That is not what I have. I would sure like to post a picture of what I do have since I feel like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person trying to describe what might just be some sort of novilty item. Are there instructions on how to post a picture on here somewhere?

Thanks!

Ok, try Photobucket. You have to register, it's free. You will then upload your pics from your PC. When they are uploaded to photobucket, you will see 3 links under each individual picture. You will right click the bottom one (3rd link), click copy, then paste it in your post/reply box. It will automaticallly put the IMG links in for you. You can always preview your post before posting it to make sure it worked. Also 800pixels and below work best for the posts so they won't spread all the way across the computer screen.

BTW (by the way) we all started just like you, no need to feel stupid or dumb. We have all asked the same questions from time to time. Alot of people, you will find, are very helpful here on the boards. Have fun!!!

Please also keep in mind that a true die will appear as the mirror image of the coin, therefore in reverse, and will be sunk into the metal and not raised. I realize these points may seem trivial, but depending on your experience with the minting process they may be important to know.

This looks like it could have been a counterfiet making die to be. This plate would never be strong enough to press a coin. I don't know much about dies except they are very thick to be able to handle the pressure of minting. I don't know, maybe someone else knows more about these.

Thanks Just Bob! I notice you collect Roosevelts? I also pick up what looks to be a high grade set from the beginning to 1995 all uncirculated (at least it looks that way to me) as well as all proofs. Any idea what that might be worth. I can set something up in PhotoBucket now that MR. bsshog40 was so kind to teach me how to post pictures.

Loot, about your Morgan "plate," if the image and letters are incuse, (sunk in or looking as if they were carved into the metal), and if that little gray line on the left is a groove, then I would have to agree with Bobby(Bsshog40) that it is one half of a mould for casting a counterfeit coin. Bear in mind that this is an area that I know very little about, so take this with a "grain of salt" Here is a link that tells a little about the subject.

About the value of your Roosevelts, I have seen uncirculated sets being offered at prices ranging from $150 to around $400, depending on the condition of the coins, the seller, and where the set is being sold. If you offered it to a dealer, the price would be lower, obviously, since they would in turn have to mark it up a little in order to turn a profit.

As far as pictures are concerned, we ALWAYS like seeing them. :)

Is it possible this is some type of printing plate?

Now, there is something that I hadn't even considered. Is the design raised above the surface, Loot?

Yep, looks like half of a mold for a counterfiet dollar. Not worth as much as a genuine mint die but probably still valuable. (Unfortunately also illegal to possess under Title 18 Sec 487. But I won't tell that you have it.)

Thanks for the heads up. I wondered if it was used to counterfit if it might be a problem to possess. Before I dispose of it (in one way or another), does anybody have any idea WHO I might contact to find out more about this item? One person I chatted with mentioned that there were some de-bunked micro-"O" mint Morgans out there from the 30's or 40's. He suggested that it may be an infamous die for some of those which may be significant to some in the VAM world. By The Way.. this is a GREAT forum with fantastic people posting. The info provided has helped me to come to a much better understanding of just how vast the knowledge is out there and the willingness to share. Kudo's to the moderators and especially to the members for your assistance.

It isn't for the micro O dollars. One it isn't a micro O reverse, and two the Micro O's were die struck not cast.

You might try talking to the curators at the ANA Money Museum or at the ANS. The curators at the Smithsonian could probably help but I would tend to stay away from anyone even with a loose connection to the government. Unfortunately I have no way to know how to find Don Taxay or Lynn Glaser, they would probably know more about counterfeiting and the equipment they use than most anyone else i know of. But they both dropped out of sight decades ago. Pistereen, Denga, Craig Sholly (sp) or Don Kagin might be good choices since they have experience with the actual real equipment, but mainly from an earlier period. Some of the better people in the mint error field my be worth talking to since they are more knowledgeable in the actual physical production of coins. They may have more insights into exactly what it is and how it was used.