• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When you get right down to it, does a slab offer better protection than a 2x2?

40 posts in this topic

I was having this discussion with a good coin friend this past week. I've always been one to make the off-hand statement that slabs are valuable for the protection they offer for coins. You can drop a slab, and the enclosed coin remains safe. You can give expose if a slab to the elements and the coin remains safe. You can handle a coin via its slab, and the coin remains safe, etc.

My friend's argument was that the protection of a properly used 2x2 flip is just as good, provided it is properly sealed, and of course that it isn't a PVC flip (only use mylar flips). He goes on to say that the additional advantage is that you can free the coin, and re-protect it at will - an advantage over slabs.

After thinking about it for a few days, I've begun to wonder if maybe he isn't right? After all, coins have survived in very high grades for decades through the protection afforded only by a mylar flip and a couple of staples.

Aside from the value of the grading and authenticity, what are your thoughts on the protection aspects?

For the record, I do have a few coins, primarily proofs, that I've left in their slabs.

I have taken a mylar flip and added a small slender piece of two sided tape to the top enclosure and this makes a nice semi-sealed container for coin storage. Add a small moisture aborber and you have nearly as safe a container as the slabs. Not nearly as nice looking but far cheaper, easier to store, and most of all the coin is attainable at no loss of protection for closer viewing. The edges are also viewable at any time. JMO.

As for better protection than a slab, I would have to disagree. A 2x2 is a great storage device but it's claim to safer storage would not be justified. Too much ease of convenience to access the coin and everyone knows how S*#@ happens.

Tape will stop being sticky long-term.

2x2s are great for temporary storage and for storing cheapies, particularly if the coins aren't being handled a lot. For better safety, slabs or some other rigid plastic storage solution (e.g., AirTites) are the way to go.

As for better protection than a slab, I would have to disagree. A 2x2 is a great storage device but it's claim to safer storage would not be justified. Too much ease of convenience to access the coin and everyone knows how S*#@ happens.

Exactly, Bobby. Too many of us are way too tempted to play with our coins. I love to stack my busties. Fortunately, I have enough lower grade ones to play with, keeping the "good" ones in slabs so that I am not able to take them out and handle them. You don't want to be playing with several hundred $ or more busties and risk adding scratches, dings, or spittle to their character!

Also, if you find yourself in a pinch and need some money, it is much easier to sell a slabbed coin to someone, and also to know exactly what you have so you don't get screwed when you sell when a coin is in a slab.

The 2x2 has its advantages and disadvantages:

Advantages

>Compact storage

>Holder and reholder at will

>Cost effective

Disadvantages

>Risk of staple damage (even from so-called, flat staples) or damage from a staple remover

>The only absolute protection afforded by the mylar window is from fingerprints

>The seal is not airtight so any coin could be affected by environmental elements

>Even with self-sealing 2x2's, has there been any 10-, 20-, 30-year or longer studies conducted by the manufacturers to positively guarantee that the adhesives used couldn't be harmful?

I use all three methods: 2x2's, flips and slabs. I use 2x2's for less valuable coins; I use flips for temporary storage, and slabs for permanent storage of more valuable or harder-to-find coins.

Chris

You shouldn't ever have a staple remover anywhere near a 2x2. A carefully applied x-acto knife used to pierce through the plastic on the side of the coin is all it takes to get the coin out.

I have dropped a coin and damaged it in a 2x2 (luckily a circulated wheatie), so I don't buy it. Staples are also problematic.

Now if you substitute 2x2 with Airtite, then I'll agree, otherwise I have to disagree.

Furthermore, the grade guarantee is of some incremental value protecting against future damage...Mike

You shouldn't ever have a staple remover anywhere near a 2x2. A carefully applied x-acto knife used to pierce through the plastic on the side of the coin is all it takes to get the coin out.

Agree that you should leave the staples alone but use a toothpick to tear the mylar window since it is less dangerous than an x-acto knife.

That is what I use, but not everyone would think of it.

Chris

Agree that you should leave the staples alone but use a toothpick to tear the mylar window since it is less dangerous than an x-acto knife.

There is no danger using an X-acto knife as long as you use the right blade. The wide, curved blades are inappropriate. The pointed, tapered blades work well. The circular window of most 2x2's is always slightly larger than most coins. The safest way to remove a coin is to tap one edge of the 2x2 against the table so that the coin is off-center in the opening. That will leave a sufficient gap around half of the perimeter so that you can pierce the mylar with just the tip of the blade. You don't have to insert the entire blade. You just have to know what you are doing.

Chris

Maybe an appropriate follow-up would be: what's the most expensive coin you keep in an 2x2 flip - not because it won't slab, but just because you prefer the 2x2?

CC's - '78, '80, '81, '82, '83, '84, '90, '91 & '92, but only because I haven't decided if I want to submit them or not. They have been in the flips 12-24 months.

Chris

Good point James:

Maybe an appropriate follow-up would be: what's the most expensive coin you keep in an 2x2 flip - not because it won't slab, but just because you prefer the 2x2?

About $50.

However, I have a large cent that is worth several thousand dollars in an Airtite (along with the vast majority of my large cent collection, probably in excess of $10k).

I've never been a big fan of coin flips. Even if they don't contain PVC, I still think that a coin can get a rub when in moves around in them. If you are going to use a cheap holder, a cardboard 2X2 is actually better if you are careful with the staples AND you use the right size holder. And for the record 2X2 holders are too small for silver dollars and $20 gold pieces, You need to use 3X3 holders for those.

To me an Eagle holder is better than a slab for many coins. You can open them if need be and replace them. With a slab you are stuck unless you are prepared to void the warranty.

Capital Plastic holders that are THE RIGHT SIZE are better than slabs too for all coins that are larger than a dime. Small coins do not fit well in Capital Plastic holders because they are too thin to be held in place. But for larger coins, a custom made Capital Plastic holder is better than a slab.

There is no danger using an X-acto knife as long as you use the right blade. The wide, curved blades are inappropriate. The pointed, tapered blades work well. The circular window of most 2x2's is always slightly larger than most coins. The safest way to remove a coin is to tap one edge of the 2x2 against the table so that the coin is off-center in the opening. That will leave a sufficient gap around half of the perimeter so that you can pierce the mylar with just the tip of the blade. You don't have to insert the entire blade. You just have to know what you are doing.

Chris

With an x-acto knife, you need a very steady hand while a toothpick is more forgiving.

I've never been a big fan of coin flips. Even if they don't contain PVC, I still think that a coin can get a rub when in moves around in them. If you are going to use a cheap holder, a cardboard 2X2 is actually better if you are careful with the staples AND you use the right size holder. And for the record 2X2 holders are too small for silver dollars and $20 gold pieces, You need to use 3X3 holders for those.

To me an Eagle holder is better than a slab for many coins. You can open them if need be and replace them. With a slab you are stuck unless you are prepared to void the warranty.

Capital Plastic holders that are THE RIGHT SIZE are better than slabs too for all coins that are larger than a dime. Small coins do not fit well in Capital Plastic holders because they are too thin to be held in place. But for larger coins, a custom made Capital Plastic holder is better than a slab.

Hi Bill!

I myself use and rely on Eagle holders, but I have some coins in flips, too. My topic was more to the fact that there are apparently some people, my friend included, who have quite expensive coins in flips and/or 2x2s. And apparently, at least some of them have grown to believe that their storage mechanism is just as safe as that of slabs. Again, I'm ignoring the financial aspects of certification, etc., and am just wondering about the physical storage mechanism.

Another way to put is this: under what conditions is a slab always better than a 2x2 or flip? or vice versa?

I think if it's a situation where a coin is handled frequently, slabs would seem to have a big advantage. But on the other hand, a flip can always be exchanged, so maybe that advantage is nullified. Plus, once a slab is scratched, it's over. You have to spend a much higher amount to replace.

Also, if you drop a 2x2-ed or flipped coin in a wet sink, it's toast. The coin is going to get contaminated before you have a chance to react and yank the coin out of immersion. A slab will also leak if left in long enough, but you have a better "grace period" if you swipe it back fast enough and get it dried off.

I guess my point is that I find myself no wavering on whether or not the protection afforded by slabs is really all that much better than what 2x2s or flips offer.

I still think slabs outrank 2x2's anyday. Take away expenses for slabs and all that and just looking at the unit itself, you could hold out 2 identical coins, one in a 2x2 and the other in a plain non-labeled slab and ask joe blow off the street which he would rather have. I think most would choose the slab. It's more presentable for the coin, and looks like a more professional type of storage. Another advantage to the certified slab is if a robbery ever occurs, God Forbid, you would at least have serial #'s to use in case of coins being pawned or something.

I have inventory in all 3: 2x2's (junk box, coin pages for albums), flips (mainly bullion coins and proofs), and slabs (more expensive coins). I have around 400 - 500 slabs (many double eagles, walkers, dollars,and commems in my own personal collection), and more of the first two than I can really keep track of. Oh, and I forgot to mention the rolls in plastic tubes, some of which I have from the mid 1960's. The girl at the bank where I have my SDB says she thinks I am a treasure hoarder at heart.

I think 2x2's and flips are great for raw coins because you can put these in coin pages and then 3 ring binders for customers at shows - this is better than a junk tub. Frankly I can not say one of the 3 above is better than the other in terms of coin preservation - they all allow toning over time but then there are coins that remain unaffected. Whats important is storing the coins in a cool, dry environment - silica gel in the storage area helps. Any coin can tone or spot over time or develop haze even if slabbed; proofs especially. As long as the coin can react with the atmosphere, it is unrealistic to believe it will not tone or become spotted over time. Flips are the easiest for allowing removal when periodic dipping may be needed.

The BTW is a nice toned raw coin I got cheap at the coin club auction, the Peace Dollar was cracked out of an NGC 64 fattie and dipped (badly needed it) to be resubmitted to NGC for 65 upgrade (hopefully), the Marine Corps $ may be getting some haze from the atmosphere (rats!), and the ANACS slabs have held up well so far (I sure like their pretty blue holders).

51093-scan0003c.jpg.4356181721514b222af7adcbdf897230.jpg

51094-scan0001.jpg.cbd81c681dfd8a81842259a2653d756f.jpg

51095-scan0005a.jpg.ee9dd88fb5b8255ad170c3eb27d4ecd0.jpg

51096-scan0003g.jpg.d17575db4832b0c7d498bd598fc9ca05.jpg

51097-scan0005c.jpg.36fbd275ac50b169888c02c0b4b3af40.jpg

51098-scan0007b.jpg.3781ee2f1779d50cf970120d23f61e2e.jpg

i prefer the ngc/pcgs slabs way over the 2x2 for protection

evenmoreso for more delicate surfaced coins

proofs

prooflike business strikes

and choice-gem business strike coinage

I like to buy coins that are already slabbed. The problem with dealer coins in 2X2's and flips are that they are raw and frequently over priced since the dealers often overgrade them or don't mention problems such as cleanings or ATing.

Most of my raw collection are in albums. I am taking Whitman's word that they are archival safe!

I have a few special collections of bullion coins in AirTites (Britannias, Pandas, Maple Leafs, etc.). The AirTites are on their 4x4 cards and in their storage boxes. I love the AirTitles.

Some of the nicer stuff I have in AirTites. I do have some tokens that are in 2x2s or mylar flips. Some of these are odd sized stuff, like NYC subway tokens. But AirTite makes these sizes and I will get those, eventually. I even have the Long Island Rail Road sesquicentennial medal in a 60mm AirTite! I love the AirTite holders.

The only slabbed items I have are my better coins (e.g., 1955 DDO cent), some gold, and registry set coins. With no offense to our hosts, I am not a fan of slabbed coins, but I do get coins slabbed when there is a potential for profit, for my registry sets, or rare coins. The profit motive is key because I use those profits to buy other coins!!

Scott :hi:

Slabs offer better protection than slips and cardboard 2x2s, except for possibly early copper and ASEs. Slabs are nice b/c they grip the coin by the edge, however the trade off is larger size and a less direct experience with the coins. For some coins, AirTites work very well but that depends on the diameter, thickness and profile of the coin. Slips are fine for larger coins, e.g. dollars in 2x2 and medals in larger sizes. For smaller coins, cardboard 2x2s are better b/c the coins tend to move around in slips.

The protection comes with a few trade offs. The coin becomes harder to photograph. They are harder to enjoy together, say vs. an album or Capital Plastics. I also think there's less of a "connection" to the coin when holding it in a slab.

I just dropped a draped bust half on the floor. It glanced off my desk and hit my FAX machine before falling softly onto the carpet. I am glad that the coin was in a slab and not in a 2x2. :o

If it was in a 2x2, you'd be so scared and careful, wouldn't have dropped it to begin with lol !

(Just kidding, of course :) )

Actually, I have dropped coins in 2x2s countless times with no ill effect whatsoever, and never a shattered holder, that's for sure. Once, I DID drop a slab in liquid, and it seeped in remarkably quickly. I was pretty much forced to crack the coin out, but then again, I was going to anyway.

I just dropped a draped bust half on the floor. It glanced off my desk and hit my FAX machine before falling softly onto the carpet. I am glad that the coin was in a slab and not in a 2x2. :o

If it was in a 2x2, you'd be so scared and careful, wouldn't have dropped it to begin with lol !

(Just kidding, of course :) )

Actually, I have dropped coins in 2x2s countless times with no ill effect whatsoever, and never a shattered holder, that's for sure. Once, I DID drop a slab in liquid, and it seeped in remarkably quickly. I was pretty much forced to crack the coin out, but then again, I was going to anyway.

That's interesting James. I know slabs aren't airtight, but I would not have thought that they would have seeped water so fast.

You seem to have a problem with this, huh? In your first post you talked about dropping slabs in the sink as well. My question is - Why did you have a slab at the sink? Just doesn't make sense to me.