• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gold coin specs

15 posts in this topic

Can someone please help me get the right weight (in grams) for the 20 francs gold angel I have? I want to weigh it when I get the chance but I see 2 different weights.

First, at coingallery's website:

http://www.coingallery.com/CoinSpecs.htm

--------------------------------================================

Here's what it says:

Country

Coin

Face

Value

Gold

oz

Wt

oz

Wt

grams

Dia

mm

Thick

mm

Gold

Fineness

France

20 Francs (3 Types)

6.4508 21.00.

Notice it says 6.4508 grams.

Next, I went to taxfreegold which has a number of many different coins and looked at the specs there:

http://www.taxfreegold.co.uk/france20francs.html

Notice here the weight in grams is different, just slightly.

20 Francs 21 6.4516 .900 .1867

I do not own a scale but my friend does who will be back from vacation in a couple weeks or days. (Not sure when he's coming back). His scale is accurate up to 0.1 gram. Not 0.01, so it might be off just a tad.

I took a ruler and measured the coin and it is pretty much exactly on 21 mm. Just a little bit shy. But pratically 21 mm.

It'd be appreciated if I could find out why the differences in weight on these two websites.

I would think that's a minor indifference as to scales may be off slightly. Those numbers should be accurate enough to get an accurate measurement. I would bet that when you are able to weigh it, that it will fluctuate slightly from measurement to measurement.

I would think that's a minor indifference as to scales may be off slightly. Those numbers should be accurate enough to get an accurate measurement. I would bet that when you are able to weigh it, that it will fluctuate slightly from measurement to measurement.

Yeah. I noticed that after the second number (the hundreths place) it changed. So it should be OK. Was just wondering why there was any difference in the weight.

Should I go by the weight in grams, the total weight (.1867 oz) in oz?

I think .1867 oz is only the actual gold weight. I think the actual coin itself weighs in .2 oz.

You are correct,0.1867 is the total weight, in troy ounces, of pure gold in the coin. This does not include copper/silver and other alloys. The 0.1867 weight should only be used when calculating the melt value of the coin.

good luck with the grading course at the ana in march

you are off to a good start

(thumbs u

pm me if you want to

i will just answer you over and over again if you so desire and i might learn some patience (which by the way i really need) in the mix

Instead of the grading course or in addition to the grading course, you need to take the ANA counterfeit detection course. These courses can be taken as correspondence courses if you are on a budget.

I went to the local bookstore and looked up 2 different books for the correct weigh in grams the coin should be. Both the krause book and another book I looked at said it was 6.4516 grams. I do not know why coin gallerys weight is different, it must be because it says there's 3 types of coins.

Stinky,

The French 20 Franc coins were all struck to the same standards.

The incorrect weight shown on the Coin Gallerys website is simply a mistake (and too small to be meaningful).

Stinky,

The French 20 Franc coins were all struck to the same standards.

The incorrect weight shown on the Coin Gallerys website is simply a mistake (and too small to be meaningful).

Thank you. I'm sorry for worrying about it so much. Frankly I'm not worried much about it anymore.

Today I went to the local coin show to have my gold angel weighed. I measured it on a 0.1 gram + or - scale (accuracy )

My gold angel weighed 6.4 grams - 6.3

My gold ducat weighed 3.5-3.4 grams

My gold sovereign weighed 8.0 grams - 7.9 grams

So everything checked out and is in the normal range.