• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FUN 2008: Chapter 5 - It's a wrap!

24 posts in this topic

I was outside having a cigarette and talking to the uniformed deputy who is posted at the top of the main stairway on the front of the Hall. He told me that, on two occasions, dealers had offered to pay him a substantial amount of money if he would drive them to Miami in his squad car. I guess many of them are still very worried about the potential for robbery. To me, I just can't understand why lowlife criminals can't clean up their life and get an honest job.

After the luncheon, I did some last-minute searching on the bourse. I noted that some of the dealers were already packing to leave, but I was able to come up with a couple of interesting medals. One is a 1909 "Alaska - Yukon - Pacific Exposition" medal. Its diameter is 70mm and on the reverse is "GOLD MEDAL" but the cartouche is uninscribed. Does anyone notice anything odd about the obverse?

The other medal is Belgian, circa 1869. It is 60mm in diameter. It has a couple of severe rim bumps, but because of the theme, I couldn't resist buying it. It's, of all things, a Prison medal, and on the reverse is the floorplan of the cellblocks! What do you think? Should I keep this as a "GET OUT OF JAIL FREE" card?

I had one last seminar to attend at 4:15 which was given by J.T. Stanton on the upcoming 5th Edition of the CPG. Unfortunately, Bill Fivaz was unable to attend since he is still recovering from the massive heartattack he had awhile back. J.T. used Power Point to give us a sneak preview of some of the latest additions in cents and nickels. Since I am not "into" these denominations, I didn't take notes on the latest additions, but some of them will be a little more common, and so, easier for collectors to find. I can say that some of those shown were FE, IHC, 3CN, Shield and some Barber coinage. As was the case last year, the "CPG 5" will be a 2-volume set bound similar to the Volume 2 of the "CPG 4". Some of the attendees during a brief Q&A expressed their preference for the old spiral-bound format because you could flip the pages around to the back. J.T. said that he would mention this to Whitman Publishing, but the ultimate decision is theirs.

This pretty much ended my FUN 2008 experience, and since so many dealers were packing up, I decided to check out of the hotel rather than wait until the early morning hours on Sunday. Besides, I didn't want to take a chance of running into any early-morning fog on the drive home.

Chris

51027-_MG_2116.JPG.f48069d07b7060366fac372210fd9339.JPG

51028-_MG_2117.JPG.de7074c3b0b65cb2aefa0c3d6545a33f.JPG

51029-_MG_2118.JPG.4b97b2006c1c86fb1a58ac744c7ac697.JPG

51030-_MG_2119.JPG.24d149656c060110c9f592f98a7717c4.JPG

I agree, a very through report there Chris. Does that first medal have a clash/strike thru??

Bobby, the oddity is a little simpler than that. You don't need a loupe or a microscope, just a little imagination. I'll give you a hint by asking you a question. If the theme of this medal is the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific-Exposition, wouldn't that be the Pacific Ocean in the background?

Chris

Is that a plaque of Washington Liberty is holding in her left hand? I understand the olive branch she is holding in her right hand for peace between the natives and the miners(jmho), but I don't get the Washington plaque. hmm. hm

added: Absolutely a great series of posts re:FUN. Thanks so much Chris, as previously said, it makes one think they were there. Jim

Is that a plaque of Washington Liberty is holding in her left hand? Jim

Yes, under a loupe, it appears to be a likeness of GW.

By the way, even though the SCD's for this Exposition are listed in the H/K book, there is no mention of this award medal.

Chris

Chris - I think its supposed to be a setting sun not a rising one :)

I took the Two guys as Lewis and Clark .. I may be wrong

Its states Seattle so the Washington Head would, I supposed represent that ???

Of course on the reverse it has an embossment to write in "MACHUGA"

for the Infamous "Machuga" Metal for the Most Informative and Inspirational Coin Show Minutes ever written!

:golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

Tada! Give that man a chocolate cigar! In art, you will ordinarily see the rays on a rising sun, not a setting sun. Since we are supposedly looking west at the Pacific Ocean, it should be a setting sun.

I noticed this immediately when I saw the medal, and it is the only reason I bought it.

Chris

Tada! Give that man a chocolate cigar! In art, you will ordinarily see the rays on a rising sun, not a setting sun. Since we are supposedly looking west at the Pacific Ocean, it should be a setting sun.

I noticed this immediately when I saw the medal, and it is the only reason I bought it.

Chris

Obviously you have MOM to thank for that artfully sunny visualization :)

Chris

Obviously you have MOM to thank for that artfully sunny visualization :)

(thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

Chris

Well I didn't even know the difference about the rays! Way to go Mike (thumbs u

I took the Two guys as Lewis and Clark .. I may be wrong

Actually, they are miners. There were very few women in the mining regions of the untamed territories, so you always saw miners in pairs. lol lol lol

Chris

A "wrap"! It can't be a wrap, you promised!

There is one other "event" that occurred during the luncheon, but I am devoting a special chapter of my report to it. Stay tuned!

Chris

So where is the special chapter of your report! We demand the special chapter! :devil:

As we all have already told you, GREAT REPORT! ^^

A "wrap"! It can't be a wrap, you promised!

There is one other "event" that occurred during the luncheon, but I am devoting a special chapter of my report to it. Stay tuned!

Chris

So where is the special chapter of your report! We demand the special chapter! :devil:

Okay, I'll give you a special RAP! :makepoint: , but the rest of the readers will get a wrap.

Chris

When was the last time you read a book with Chapters 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, etc.?

Unless she followed me around all day until I went to my car, and then ran my license plate.................probably never.

Chris

My Pre-Algebra book. The kids are on Chapter 5.3 as we speak. But I'll agree that you win and I missed the point of Chapter 4 being the extra chapter(should have been more about the blonde). lol

My Pre-Algebra book. The kids are on Chapter 5.3 as we speak. But I'll agree that you win and I missed the point of Chapter 4 being the extra chapter(should have been more about the blonde). lol

I took algebra in 7th & 8th grade (1959-1961). There weren't any decimal points in our chapters, so you will have to defer to your elders. :blahblah:

Yeah, I would have liked to know more about the blonde, too!

Chris