• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinion on this Proof Morgan please

13 posts in this topic

Can't grade from a digital image, sometimes not even to discern cameo contrast. And, dunno if that "gash" is on the coin or the holder.

If it were on the coin, then I'd have a hard time accepting a near gem grade too.

EVP

I think the hit is on the coin. In fact, Im positive of it.

If the fields are nice and hairline free, and the coin is a moderate cameo like it looks, I don't see why PF66 is out of the question. After all, were this an MS coin no one would argue with MS67 or likely MS68 for the grade.

As for the coin, overall it looks like thousands of other proof Morgans. Nothing special. I'd pass and wait for a nice example - especially considering the price.

I think the mark on the chin is actually on the coin. It also appears to have some light cameo, but this is way tough to tell from the images provided. Overall, I dislike the look of this piece very much as it has an odd, yellow, dipped out look that I find terribly unattractive and that I think would kill the coin for most potential buyers. For nearly eight-large I would think you would be able to buy something with superior eye appeal.

This coin MIGHT look better in person, but from the photo it looks like the typical dipped out Proof Morgan. It has that dull yellowish rather tired look that these coins take after they have had a bath.

It might be a cameo, but it does not look like a PR-66 to me. To me a PR-66 should be totally orginal (never dipped) and have great luster under beautiful virtually spot-free toning. There will either be very few hairlines or they are well covered by the toning and don't impair the beauty of the piece.

I agree with the others PASS. juggle.gif

ER, I think the problem with grading a coin like this from such a large image is that it greatly magnifies the effect of even a tiny hit, like the one you mentioned. In other words, if you bring that huge image over to a photo editor, and shrink it down to a normal size, what looks like a major gash is in fact a tiny hit. I think this is why coins should be graded without magnification first, and then under magnification only to confirm there aren't hairlines. For me, a tiny hit like that is acceptable for PR-66, and probably even PR-67, especially on such a large coin, and if the rest of the coin is basically pristine.

James

I suggest calling them to discuss via phone. I bought a PCGS PR65 CAM through them a few months ago, the photo looked horrible like this one but a verbal from them convinced me to bid on it. It turned out great. They describe this coin as vitually white so it's hard to believe that the photo is accurate.

The Chin gash is about the only detracting mark, on a PR66 you can expect to see it. Other PR66's that I have seen have a few hairlines visible, maybe they equate that mark to a few hairlines? Some PR65's are downright ugly to me with hairlines, etc. Compare it to an MS66 - they have marks. Not until you get into a a PR67 or higher can you expect a near perfect coin. Good Luck!

Hard to tell what the grade is from the scan. The price though seems high when compared to their last auction price for a PR66 in August 2003.