• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with value of this Morgan

29 posts in this topic

Not sure Harv. It looks about MS63-64 which has a PCGS value from $46-$125. I did notice the markings on the 2x2 for the double profile and it looks to have that, which I'm seeing at the base of liberty, so I'm not sure if this increases the value or how much.

Thanks Bruce checked there and does not give any values is there any where else I can look? Bobby do you think it has any shot at a 65?

My Guess is no because of the scratches on the cheek on the obverse.

Reverse 64

Obverse 63

Result 63 .. in my mind :) - Which may not resemble any others minds :makepoint:

Thanks Bruce checked there and does not give any values is there any where else I can look? Bobby do you think it has any shot at a 65?

My Guess is no because of the scratches on the cheek on the obverse.

Reverse 64

Obverse 63

Result 63 .. in my mind :) - Which may not resemble any others minds :makepoint:

I worked on your photo's a bit to see if there was anything to better judge...I think Bruce is spot on.

ddmorgan11.jpg

ddmorgan21.jpg

Is this date known for a good strike, or is that one just hammered? It looks really good, and would look better with a little color :insane:
Mine never seem to have that good a strike. Can you get a better pic of the obverse?

Out of the 2x2 this looks like a good shot at MS64 to me. The scratches on the cheek don't look real bad. They may be looked at as slight hairlines, not sure. I think the OBV will keep it from MS65 though.

I wouldn't go with anything higher than economy myself. You would have too much into the coin than what it is worth. It really depends on you Harv.

I'd be worried about some of those obverse marks getting it BB'd. Am I alone in this?

Yeah I think they are more typical sliding bag marks .. pretty common on these .. should not stop from being slabbed ... Still thinking 63 though heheh

I'd be worried about some of those obverse marks getting it BB'd. Am I alone in this?

Yeah I think they are more typical sliding bag marks .. pretty common on these .. should not stop from being slabbed ... Still thinking 63 though heheh

I just got a bag on my last order for basically the same thing.(At least that was the concession of the board).

I just got a bag on my last order for basically the same thing.(At least that was the concession of the board).
ungh.png

NGC will not put it on the Holder unless it is a HOT 50 or top 100. There are exceptions for some 1878 Vams. I sent in 11 Morgans recently.Two were Vams. They did not recognize the one on the 1899 0 which they graded as a MS65. The 1880S which they graded as a MS64 was a VAM 11 because it is in the HOT 50.

He needs to look up what 1890 VAM 23s are selling for and decide if this gives the coin more value since I believe NGC does not recognize the VAM 23.

I did not specify the VAM 11 but paid the $7.00 Variety fee to NGC and they labeled it.

If you send it to ANACS and specify the VAM then for a fee of $5.00 then they will name it on the Label if you are correct. If you know it is a VAM but are not sure of the designation then ANACS will research it for you for a $10.00 fee in addition to the Grading fee.

The disadvantage of sending it to ANACS among other things is it can't be entered into the NGC Registry.

Also if the coin has been scratched, dipped or cleaned then NGC will Body Bag it and ANACS will detail it but will give a grade and VAM etc.

If the Submitter doesn't care about the VAM and needs it for the NGC Registry and it has not been cleaned etc then Submit it to NGC. One cam always attribute the Vam later if they know it is there.

If the VAM commands a Premium then the only solution is ANACS.