• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COUNTDOWN TO FUN!!!!

17 posts in this topic

Well, I'm all packed and ready to leave tomorrow morning. I should be in Orlando before Noon. I'm looking forward to meeting some new friends and renewing some past acquaintances.

Besides the NGC Luncheon, I have quite a few stops on the bourse on my agenda............

>PCGS and NGC for slabbed, unattributed Top 100 & Hot 50 VAM's

>CONECA for someone to examine a couple of error coins

>I want to check out the Cuban Numismatic Association....just curious!

>Show some error coins (other than those mentioned) to Weinberg & Margolis

>Stop by DLRC to tell them that I enjoy doing business with them

>Monnaie de Paris to try and find a reference work on the "Differents" (mintmarks) of the 18th & 19th centuries

> Of course, I have to stop by Scotsman to tell them what a great job that James is doing with their descriptions

>Then, there are a few dealers listed in the FUN Directory who are from my area and aren't listed in the phone book, and there is also one listed from my hometown of Rockville, MD......just to say "Hi!"

>I want to talk to someone from Stack's to see if they would be interested in auctioning the working copy I have of the original Presidential Seal

>There are two, maybe three, seminars that I want to attend............."5th Annual VAM Thing" conducted by Ash Harrison, Jeff Oxman and the Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.............and "Highlights from the Upcoming 5th Edition of the CPG" given by Bill Fivaz and J.T. Stanton.

>Among all of this, I hope to get the time to hunt for some Morgans and French Medals............I've got you covered jackson & Rey...........I'll keep an eye out for tall ships and trains!

>And maybe, just maybe, I might even bump into Lou! :hi:

Chris

>Monnaie de Paris to try and find a reference work on the "Differents" (mintmarks) of the 18th & 19th centuries

Cuban coins, especially from the federal period circa 1900 to 1950 (give or take a couple years) is really cool. When I was in high school, there was a guy that went to my church that was a refugee from Cuba. His dad was rather high up in the government when Castro decided to take over, so his whole family escaped to America in 1958 I think. He knew I was into coins, so he gave me a 1920 10 centavos piece, gorgeous circulated VF-30 or so. It is one of my most special coins. I completed a type set of Cuban coinage, but sold most of it (both because I needed the money and because I rushed the set and so wasn't pleased with most of the coins because they didn't match this one).

And if you should find a reference on the Differents, let me know. Are differents the same thing as privy marks? I am not entirely sure. It would be even better if it covered 20th century as well.

50815-JPW88obversesmall.jpg.2a33e70cef4e211514ace4b8138eaf04.jpg

50816-JPW88reversesmall.jpg.734988cd7306462087dec944a644d32e.jpg

And if you should find a reference on the Differents, let me know. Are differents the same thing as privy marks? I am not entirely sure. It would be even better if it covered 20th century as well.

I don't know if it would be the same as a privy mark or not. Prior to 1860, the Different was the personal mark chosen by each Mint Director. After that, the Beehive became standardized and was used through 1879. It was then replaced by the Cornucopia in 1880 which is still in use today. I would like to obtain images or drawings that depict the earlier designs, and also the background information about each of the Directors.

If this is something that you might want, why don't you PM me your telephone number(s), and I'll call you if I find something.

Chris

If this is something that you might want, why don't you PM me your telephone number(s), and I'll call you if I find something.

Chris

I don't really want to buy it now, more want to know the title and author so that I can add it to the list of things I want to get in the future. Its an interesting subject, but I am more concerned with 20th century French Colonial for now, and do not plan on moving back in time too much in the immediate future. Thanks for the offer!

Drive careful Chris , have pictures on hand so if ya get pulled over , the cops won't think you're removing man-hole covers with some of those Uber-large :o medals you hoist along !

:applause:

PS , I'll try to find ya at the luncheon Saturday.....gotta help my brother (spelled bother) work on an old Camaro this afternoon and have to push my plans back to get all the junk done I'm working on at the house...Mona's honey-do list is killin me .

Have fun tomorrow, Chris. And don't forget to add a bikini wax on your Doo-Doo list. hm

Editor's correction.............d@mn rookie reporters can't spell!

Chris

Drive careful Chris , have pictures on hand so if ya get pulled over , the cops won't think you're removing man-hole covers with some of those Uber-large :o medals you hoist along !

:applause:

Police Officer: Do you realize that I clocked you going 95mph?

Me: Yes!

Police Officer: Well, try to slow down a bit.

Honesty works every time!

PS , I'll try to find ya at the luncheon Saturday.....gotta help my brother (spelled bother) work on an old Camaro this afternoon and have to push my plans back to get all the junk done I'm working on at the house...Mona's honey-do list is killin me .

I'm looking forward to meeting you, too!

Chris

The only time I ever went that fast was on I-75 just north of Orlando on my way to Gainseville. I was the slowest person on the highway, and the cops just flew by.

The only time I ever went that fast was on I-75 just north of Orlando on my way to Gainseville. I was the slowest person on the highway, and the cops just flew by.

Back in 1980, I was the head bartender/manager at one of the local watering holes in South Ft. Myers. It was a small place, but we catered to most of the other bartenders and wait staff from the other bars and restaurants, so we were always packed. I had been putting in 16-hour days for about 3 months. One night I left about 3:30am to make the 30-mile drive home on Pine Island. I had to be back at work the next morning for a staff meeting at 8:00am, so I didn't want to waste any time getting home. When I got to Matlacha, the only access to the island, the speed limit dropped to 30mph, so I slowed down to about 85. I passed a deputy sheriff whose car was in a parking lot just before I got to the bridge at Matlacha Pass. By the time he got on the road, I had already passed through Matlacha, and I opened the car up to about 135 around a long slow curve. I was about a mile ahead of him, but I saw his flashing lights coming around the curve. Guess what? There is no place to run & hide on Pine Island, so when I reached the stop sign at the only north/south road connecting both ends of the island, I waited for him. He motioned for me to pull into a convenience store parking lot. He approached my car window and said, "Do you know that I was doing 95 and you were just leaving me?" I said, "Yes!" and told him how long it had been since I had worked anything less than 110 hours a week. He gave me a verbal warning and told me to try to keep it under 80.

I can't help it! I love long slow curves at high speed.

Chris

I'll be flying out at 3:30 pm tomorrow I'll be in Florida at 9:30 pm, I hope to see you at the Luncheon. Don't forget to go by the Coneca table.

Yes, I have the CONECA table on my list. Do you have something to "run past" them?

I'm looking forward to meeting you, Richard.

Chris

Hey guys wish I could be there. I "managed" to make it through my tour of our "waste" transfer stations today. We covered Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, queens and Harlem. I did walk by Stacks last night on the way past central park. The closest I will come to FUN. Good luck Chris and anything you see that you think I would be interrested in call me.

Rey