• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this PVC damage?

10 posts in this topic

I could use some help/info from some of you more experienced collectors. These coins were cheap so I'm not overly concerned but I'd like to know what causes this. The center of some of my Canadian PL dimes have a dull flat ugly area in the dead center. I was wondering if this is from mint packaging in Canada? (the same issue spans decades so I have doubts that that is the case)..Is it just the high area and weakly struck there?..or do you think that they were housed at one time in those ICCS flip type certification holders and have plastic damage?...or is it something I haven't thought of?.....

I included a pic of one from the 40's..again the same problem on a coin from the 60's...and finally one that does not have this "dull spot" in the center...I did the best I could to photo what I'm referring to..thanks in advance for any insights...

PS: after posting the pics I noticed that even the 1963 has a very slight "dead spot" in the center that is off color..

50769-MVC-928S.JPG.e8a8a2b749d470d9a3356e8781239ef1.JPG

50770-MVC-929S.JPG.9f34e4a43cd1dd491bf62ece2db1faa5.JPG

50771-MVC-930S.JPG.2ee71ec925bb1edf2ffbd9e1a99de06a.JPG

I'm not real good with PVC damage except that it usually is a greenish color. I have seen the spotting that you are showing on US coins also from mint packaging. I've only seen it in the plastic packaging though, such as the older proof sets and the Uncirculated sets. It looks like to me some sort of hazing. I've even attempted on a couple of them to dip off, but to no avail.

I am not sure that is PVC, it doesn't look like it. This might sound a little strange, but sniff your coins. Take a good deep breath. Does it smell like a shower curtain? If so, then it is definitely PVC, and a good acetone bath is in order. Just make sure you are alone when you do it, because you will have a heck of a time trying to explain yourself. If not, it probably is not PVC, and I don't know what it is.

a guesstimate from the photos it possiblely could be PVC and if not then not a good thing to have on this coin

is it active or not??

Michael, what is active pvc vs inactive?

Seems strange that the problem is at the same place in different coins. Did you try re -aligning the coins in the Original packaging to see if there was anything in that area on the packaging that was different from the rest?

It would seem that if it was from the type of packaging itself that it would be on the whole coin unless there was more pressure in that area compared to other areas.

a guesstimate from the photos it possiblely could be PVC and if not then not a good thing to have on this coin

is it active or not??

Michael, what is active pvc vs inactive?

Active PVC is actively eating away at the coin. Active PVC does damage

Sometimes, PVC will just sit there and not do anything. This is inactive PVC.

If they were ever in loose plastic coin holders, it may account for the same "cloudy" look in the center. I had some walkers in these holders that had the same look. Its where they slide back and forth and just barely touch the center.