• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PVC on silver coins

13 posts in this topic

Hello, everyone.

I have a few silver coins, (not rare certainly, just 5 franc Swiss pieces and Israeli crowns worth silver melt), that have PVC. I have gotten some great advice here previously about cleaning, but I clearly recall the warnings about using Acetone. Other than baking soda, anything safe around the house that can be used just to get the darned stuff off?

Thanks, and have a nice evening.

We broke the record high temperature here in RI today with a reading of 66. Finally got to play with my new table saw and install the new vice on my workbench.

RI AL

All I can think of that would work well would be the acetone RI AL. It is highly flamable,but if you had a safe location to use it away from anything that would make it ignite, it would work well. I've used it outside in my carport. Great ventilation and no problem.

I use acetone in a covered shot glass and use 2 or 3 fresh baths, all done in the kitchen. There is not enough volume to be a hazard unless I have an open flame next to it.

Each fresh bath helps to make sure none of the pvc is left on the coin.

You can soak a coin in acetone for hours with no harm to the coin.

Here is the other side of this.

Acetone removes most organic stuff including PVC, glue, tape, and some dirt and grime. What's under the organic stuff may not leave the coin looking any better than it did before.

I have never had a problem with acetone and I've been using it for nearly 5 years. I usually just open a window and turn a fan on (and obviously keep flames away). My roommate in college would sometimes complain it gave him a small headache (that's actually why I started opening the window, after that he never complained again). I don't even use gloves when I am dealing with it, it evaporates so fast on your skin that it can't make that much of a difference. If you treat acetone like the mildly dangerous chemical that it is, you will not have any problems. It's not like it's hydrochloric acid or anything. Just take a few precautionary measures, and soak the heck out of those PVC encrusted coins.

And whatever you do, don't use baking soda on those poor coins. It will leave the coin looking scrubbed and brightly shiny. I have seen a couple of baking soda treated coins and they were the ugliest things I had ever seen

Thanks for the replies, guys. Most helpful as always.

I have a new can of acetone but have hesitated to use it. I have gloves, masks, fire extinguishers and alarm system, nosy neighbors ready and it's about 60 degrees in my garage today...though I may look like a surgeon going in for an experimental brain surgery...I think I'll give it a shot. Maybe I should wait til my wife comes home in case I blow my face off...actually...she would probably think that it would be an improvement. :>)

Thanks!!! RI AL

Your cautionary behavior is respected there RI AL, but unless you're smoking while you're using it, it's not that dangerous. It' s somewhat worse than laquer thinner if you are familiar with that. Just keep it in a well ventilated area away from any spark and flames and you will be just fine.

Acetone is not worth the worry that you're giving it. I'd use it outside or in a well-ventilated room, but unless you get it in your eyes, it's not a problem. I used it in a poorly ventilated room (due to bad weather and impatience) once for a good hour or so and I got a nasty headache, but that was all. I wear nitrile gloves when I use it, mainly so I don't redeposit oils/skin acids on the coin surfaces. Generally, I use gloves when handling raw coins anyway - it's not a big expense ($7 for 100 pair) and it can save you a problem coin later. If you get acetone on your bare skin repeatedly, you can defat your skin (dry your skin somewhat) - no problem; just rub on a little hand lotion if it bothers you. IT RUBS THE LOTION ON ITS SKIN, OR ELSE IT GETS THE HOSE AGAIN!!! (sorry, I couldn't resist).

Just don't use it when smoking or around an open spark (like a gas stove) and you're fine. The stuff isn't going to spontaneously combust!

FWIW, I found a $1 glass sundae cup at Wal-Mart that narrows to a cone tip which I find useful for keeping soaking coins from actually rubbing on the bottom of the container (as would happen on a flat-bottomed dish). Never use plastic with acetone.

I have a new can of acetone but have hesitated to use it. I have gloves, masks, fire extinguishers and alarm system, nosy neighbors ready and it's about 60 degrees in my garage today...though I may look like a surgeon going in for an experimental brain surgery...I think I'll give it a shot. Maybe I should wait til my wife comes home in case I blow my face off...actually...she would probably think that it would be an improvement. :>)

Thanks!!! RI AL

10_5_133.gif:roflmao:

Thanks!!! RI AL

10_5_133.gif:roflmao:

You have a Gif for everything don't ya Irvin!! lol

I use acetone all the time inside without any problems. I pour some in a large plastic medicine bottle drop in the problem coin put on the cap and just give it a shake. This has worked well for me in removing PVC.

Well, thanks to the many helpful replies to my PVC question, I whipped out the can of Acetone (it has been taunting me for a couple of months...unopened...for fear of blowing my self into the next time zone) and SUCCESS!!! I found 6 silver coins that were sort of a "seasick green" with a distinct oozy/sticky feel to them...2 Maria Theresa Thaler Restrikes (have NO idea where I got those), 2 beautiful 1967 Swiss 5 francs (still trying to make sense of the different rim lettering varieties mentioned in SCWC) and 2 large Israel commemoratives. I actually got a green tinge in the acetone as well as on my vinyl gloves. (I have 7 boxes of those because I have to wear them at home when doing germy chores, and in spite of rumors contrary to the fact, I have not, nor will I ever be, a Proctologist....but I could run a supply house.)

So, thanks, guys. Much appreciated. You helped save some nice silver coins from further gunkiness. I thought I would play with the Acetone and some pocket change...but I'll save that for another day. All the best. Y'all are super.

RI AL