• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MS70 treatment before and after

19 posts in this topic

I bought this Wash-Carver half and looks like the surface has been treated with an acid wash or something similiar. I rolled a cotton swab with MS70 across it several times and cleaned some of the gunk off, but still looks damaged. What do you think.

BEFORE:

1952Washington-CarverHalfinhand1.jpg

AFTER:

1952Washington-CarverHalfinhand2.jpg

I don't think you have the coin positioned the same relative to the incoming light, which makes it very hard to determine what actually happened to its surfaces.

What do you think.

Since you asked, and apologizing in advance for the bluntness of my response, I think it went from bad to worse.

But in the end, it is what you think not what I think that really matters...Mike

Tom, I am sure you are right, as I have proved to all what a terrible photographer I am. At least everyone knows it is unintentional as noone would want the results I get when photographing a coin. I can make a coin look like a yellow button without even trying.

Greg, are you serious or joking. I have never seen this effect on a silver coin before, although I have not had much experience with commems.

i think it looks more original in first form but doesnt look bad after dip :) thanks for sharing.

My understanding is MS70 is not a dip (acid) but rather a strong detergent that shouldn't affect the toning.

Greg, are you serious or joking. I have never seen this effect on a silver coin before, although I have not had much experience with commems.

Completely serious. That so-called pitting that is very common on the GWC commems is the result of the planchet not being full struck up. You'll find this on the face, hair, shoulder on te obverse, and in the middle of the map and on the letters on the reverse.

My experience with MS-70 has been limited. But from what I have seen, I have not cared for the results.

This coin looks pretty much like the other MS-70 treated coins I’ve seen. It is too bright, and if shine makes coin a coin look cheap, this treatment has done it.

And yes, gmarguli is right. The Washington-Carver, the Booker T. Washington and Philadelphia Sesquicentennial half dollars often have marks on them from the original planchet that the shallow dies did not remove during striking. Still this dose of MS-70 has not made that situation any better. It’s only made the coin look worse.

Well, unfortunately, Bill, I agree. I would have never thought that this coin could possibly look worse, but it certainly does. I have used MS70 on copper without seemingly damaging the look of the coin, but this is awful. I have used it on a couple of washington quarters and it merely cleaned them up without this pot metal look it gave this coin. Also, it never gave any hue changes to the copper coins I used it on-no purple/blue/green/ colors.

What do you think.

Since you asked, and apologizing in advance for the bluntness of my response, I think it went from bad to worse.

But in the end, it is what you think not what I think that really matters...Mike

I don't want to make you feel bad or anything, but I agree with Mike. Before, it looked moderately unattractive but original. Now it looks unattractive and dipped.

Nothing that a few weeks on the window sill won't fix. I had a seated dollar that was shiny white two months ago. Now after a month in the bathroom window ledge (sunny, humid and cold) it's taken on a nice natural looking tone.