• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHY? IS THIS A SCAM ?

12 posts in this topic

I recently bought this coin from Carl (123cents) and have now sold it on ebay. My buy it now price was $249 and my first bid price was $119 With 5 minutes left a person from Nigeria used the buy it now. He has marked it as payment sent via money order. What do you think?

2001-1.jpg

Nigeria? Here's what's going to happen. The person will send you a money order in the amount of $500. They will say 'oops, I sent too much.' They will ask you to send the coin along, with the rest of the money, in this case $251. You will have deposited the money order in your bank account, later on the bank will find it to be a fake, and you will be out the coin, the $251 you sent back, and the $500 you now owe to cover the charge of the money order.

I'd be willing to put money on it.

I can't be sure in my response, but a money order from Nigeria... I wouldn't accept it. I'll wait for others to chime in as to what action you can take.

Thank you for the answers guy's. I have been reading the ebay help page and they agree with you Greg if it's the right amount wait till it clears if it's more file a complaint.

Just got this from Ebay

The results of the following listing(s) have been cancelled due to bidding activity that took place without the account owner's authorization:

We have cancelled the listing(s) to maintain the integrity of the eBay site, your account, and the bidder’s account that was accessed. We are working to restore the bidding account to its rightful owner, and we are working with the account owner to prevent any additional unauthorized activity. Since the account owner did not initiate these bids, all fees resulting from the listings in question will be credited to your account within 7 days. If you do not see the credits posted to your account after 7 days, please feel free to contact us through ‘Contact Us’ in our Help section.

Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to automatically relist these items for you. Instead, to relist these items you will need to start from the beginning of the listing process, either through the "Sell Your Item" process or through your third party listing service. We know that this is an inconvenience and we apologize for the negative impact it may cause you. We are working on tools to allow you to relist your items without starting from the beginning, but they are not available at this time.

Do not respond to this email, as your reply will not be received. If there are issues that have not been addressed by this message, you can contact us by clicking the "Help" link located at the top of most eBay pages and selecting "Contact Us" from the menu on the left hand side of the page.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Regards,

eBay Trust & Safety

I can't be sure in my response, but a money order from Nigeria... I wouldn't accept it. I'll wait for others to chime in as to what action you can take.

Actually Munky I would agree. Nigeria is rife with scammers sending MOs for "more than the amount. Please cash it and send me the difference - and, oh yes, keep an extra 200 for your trouble!"

Only problem is that here in the US banks can and will prosecute you (the depositor) for this kind of scam (don't ask me why but they will).

I would say that there is a good chance of this happening,.There has been a Scam where somebody says that you have won a Lottery etc and they can't cash the check in NIgeria but if you will cash it then you will receive a fee for your Sevice.

They send you a check for $500.00 and you get to keep $150.00 for your trouble and to send the other $350.00 back to them. A few days later the check bounces and your Bank notifies that you owe them $500.00

The person in Nigeria may send you a M..O for the exact amount of the Coin plus shipping. You send the coin to them and are notified that the MO. is not any good but you have lost whatever the coin is worth..

There must be some way that it can be checked as to the validity and guarantee of the M.O. I would deposit it with my Bank and wait. If the Person from Nigeria complains because there is a delay in shipping then I would answer them that the Bank has out a hold on the M.O. becuase.............

There still might be a problem of a fee if the MO. bounces but you would have to work that out with your Bank.Under no Circumstances would I ship the coin unless the Bank here in the U,S, gave you a guarantee.

Let the money order clear. Wait 3-4 weeks if you have to.

If he did send you too much, tear it up, file a complain with eBay and relist.

Quoted for accuracy. I agree 100%.

In short, there is a chance it is real, and the OP should to go under that assumption until proven otherwise (by the MO bouncing). Just be sure you give it time to bounce before sending the item, and you should be good.

I would also check the buyer's feedback for some sense of the buyer's eBay background....Mike