• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am new to coin collecting

4 posts in this topic

As the subject line states, I am new to this most excellent "HOBBY". I have a couple coins with what appears to be dirt in the nooks and crannies. Can someone please inform me if there is a way to remove this without damaging the coin, or should I just leave it be?

As the subject line states, I am new to this most excellent "HOBBY". I have a couple coins with what appears to be dirt in the nooks and crannies. Can someone please inform me if there is a way to remove this without damaging the coin, or should I just leave it be?

Welcome to the forums…. (thumbs u

Let me suggest you do nothing to them until you learn more. Posting images would be a great start in getting further advice.

Aslo along with Stans suggestion, it would also be helpful to know what types coins you are asking about as to some things work on some and not others!

As a rule, never mess with copper.

Also never rub, brush or scratch/poke at, no matter how much you think the dirt matters. It doesn't, and a nasty scratch is game over for the coin

Good luck..