• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reverse of a CC Morgan

7 posts in this topic

I have this 1883-CC Morgan, and it has this odd thing by the wreath on the reverse (see the photo) it is raised, so I am not sure what it is. Anyone have any ideas what it is? 1883cc1drev.jpg

That is what I thought, but it just seems odd to me that the clashing only really appears in that one section on the reverse, with nothing on the obverse. confused-smiley-013.gif

Definitely a clashed die. There are two possibilities for the obverse. Either the obverse's die was polished again to remove the evidence of the clash or the mint employee didn't see the clash at first and put away the dies for the day. And so on the next day of production this clashed reverse die was paired with another obverse that didn't have any clash.

I personally think that clashed die examples are cool. I have a handful of them.

Clashed Die - can see it on the left also - under the N of IN God We Trust and along the inside edge of the left wreath between the wreath and the eagle's left wing, (the clash marks appears lighter in that area).

Another example of a Die Clash on a Rotated Die.

278509-1882-CCr-a1.jpg

There are Two Clashes under the Right Wing but one over the Left Wing.

Note how much it's rotated.

278522-1882-CCo-a.JPG

There is also an Extra Lip but I'm not sure if it's from a Die Clash or a Doubling of the Die.

278529-1882-CC%20Lips1.jpg