• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Week #295 - Happy 2008!

12 posts in this topic

QUESTION:

Name the countries that Japan issued occupation currency in during WW II

Good Luck!

Our first place winner will receive a coupon for 1 note graded under the Standard grading tier. (You must have an active account with PMG, call PMG for details) There will also be a runner up prize given to a randomly selected player with the correct answer.

REMINDER: The Numisma-Quest ends on Saturday at midnight EST. Entries after that time will not be valid. See the Trivia info post for more details.

When you post your answer, only the administrators can see it . Stop back this Monday. We will make all the posts visible and announce the winners.

Philippines, Malaya, Singapore, Straits Colonies, Netherlands East Indies (now Indonesia), British Islands in the Pacific and adjacent seas, including New Guinea, Oceania, Burma, French Indochina.

this is kind of a tricky question, since the geopolitical lines have changed, so i'll try to answer as best i can:

1: the philippines (although its status as a country is suspect since it was

governed by the united states.

2: the dutch east indies (now indonesia and a smattering of other smaller

countries)

3: hong kong (although at the time it was a british possession and now it is part of

china

4: china (both mainland and taiwan--although no one at the time had thought of a

split)

5: burma (wow--a country that is still a country, although its name has changed to

myanmar)

6: oceania (i think that must be british for a whole bunch of islands that they don't

wish to distinguish)

7: malaya and the straits settlements (now malasia and singapore, but at the

time, they too were part of the british empire)

so, i guess if the question regards "countries," only china and burma would qualify and the answer would be 2. however, if we are to interpret "countries" as autonomous regions that ultimately owe allegiance to a distinct foreign power, then the answer is 7.

Great question :) I was able to find the following altho I imagine I have overlooked some other(s)

French Indochina, China, Malaysia (Malaya), New Guinea, Indonesia Islands, Burma, Phillipines, Singapore, Dutch Indies

During World War II, Japan occupied many countries in Asia, including Burma (Myanmar), Philippines, Malaya (West Malaysia), Oceania, and the Netherland Indies (now Indonesia). There, the Japanese Government printed their own currency, now called "Japanese Invasion Money" or JIM.

Question:

Name the countries that Japan issued occupation currency in during WW II.

Answer:

Burma

China

French Indo-China

Malaya

Oceania

Philippines

Netherlands Indies

Unfortunately there are no winners this week.

Thanks for playing this weeks Numisma-Quest. Dont forget to stop by for this weeks NGC question.