• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1908 saint WITH motto?

21 posts in this topic

I just recently posted new pics of mine in this thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2102306&page=2#Post2102306

It is a better date "with" motto. Only around 100K struck. And the coin is rare in all grades above MS-63. They added the motto toward the end of 1908, thus the low mintage.

And the Greysheet Ask price on that MS 62 from December was $1035, so his price is full retail or thereabouts. That 1035 number may have gone up a bit with the recent rise in the gold price though.

The greysheet ask price in December was 1140. The price is a little high, but there is increasing demand with the rising gold price. That 1320 number is probably a typical full retail price.

Buyer has 1 feedback. Price is a little strong, as MBA points out, but not that crazy. For instance PCGS has $1475 as the retail price for a 64, and while they are a little high, it is in the neighborhood. The holder is an older one, and many inexperienced buyers assume it is undergraded. So maybe this (and the earlier) coin just found the right bidder?

The only 1908 issue that did not have the motto/no motto varieties was the 1908-S as they were all struck with mottos. Just look at the Saint registry listing and you'll see all the holes, all 54 (well 53 without the 33).

the motto on the 1908 saints is the wordage in God we trust it is located below the eagle on the reverse just above the sun

so with motto has ----in God we trust on the reverse the no motto----the in god we trust is left off

usually the with mottos are worth more as these coins where not saved as everyone thought that this no motto coin would be worth more so lots more no mottos where saved

teddy roosevelt did not want the mottos on the saint 20 dollar gold coins as he thought someone might take a 20 dollar gold coin and buy a prostitute with it for example and so this was blastimomyas you are using the money for a godless purpose .............. but public outcry was so large it was reinstated to the coins the motto in god we trust

Stinky, I know how much you love gold coins, so if you sold your Saint at this level would you use the money obtained for other coins? hm

Gray Sheet "bid/ask" in MS-62 for the 1808 with motto St Gaudens double eagle is $1,000/$1,035. For MS-63 the spread is $1,600/$1,680.

Yes, $1,334 is strong for a MS-62, but if the coin is perceived to be a "strong MS-62" I could see where a collector would be willing to pay that.

so with motto has ----in gold we trust on the reverse

That is interesting. I know that is the motto for today's society, but back then were they that materialistic?

It was a typo on Michael's part.

so with motto has ----in gold we trust on the reverse

That is interesting. I know that is the motto for today's society, but back then were they that materialistic?

It was a typo on Michael's part.

I know that. It's called a joke. ;)

Stinky, I know how much you love gold coins, so if you sold your Saint at this level would you use the money obtained for other coins? hm

My parents are pressuring me to sell it. Also I think it would be a good time to sell. I woud probably either save the money for my trip to japan or buy other coins. Or just wait till the price of gold goes down again and buy more gold for the same amount of money...but I'm so attached to it I don't think I could sell it! :o:insane:

It might be a while before you see gold go down again, and remember in these cycles, it never goes back down to where it once was. Someone like you in 1979 might have said, I'll sell and when gold goes back down to a sane price like $100, I'll buy again. Well gold fell a lot from it's first peak of $850, but never again reached $100. This time gold may peak at $1,000 or $2,000, or even higher, but when it comes back down, the low may only get to $500, so we may never see $260 gold again.

It might be a while before you see gold go down again, and remember in these cycles, it never goes back down to where it once was. Someone like you in 1979 might have said, I'll sell and when gold goes back down to a sane price like $100, I'll buy again. Well gold fell a lot from it's first peak of $850, but never again reached $100. This time gold may peak at $1,000 or $2,000, or even higher, but when it comes back down, the low may only get to $500, so we may never see $260 gold again.

Gold may be in an upturn for another 5 or even 10 years. We may never see 800 gold again after it reaches its final peak, or even 1000. I think gold has been undervalued for years. Now you add in the unending availability of money, and billions more people, supply will not be able to keep up with demand. Don't forget, starting a mine with all the regulations and political uncertainty is nearly impossible.

In essence, don't be fooled by outdated opinions that gold is a dinosaur and not a good investment. I would hold your Saint until you are forced to sell because you absolutely have no alternative to get the money you need, or until gold reaches at least $1500. JMHO.