• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

XF Bicentenial Kennedy Half (Denver) w/DD Reverse...any Info?

10 posts in this topic

I got home from my bank yesterday where I purchased what halfs they had($3 worth) and when I got home, I got out my magnifiying glass and saw that one was a Bicentenial Denver mint in XFcond...the word STATE on the reverse jumped out at me as I saw that it was without a doubt a double die. I have tried to take several pics to capture it to no avail. It is in XF cond. Does anyone have ANY info on this. I have searched many places and can find nothing on it...please, help!

There's no known DDR for the bicentennial halfs.

It's not impossible that you've discovered a new variety. Most strike doubling will have a low shelf-like appearance to the secondary image. True doubled dies will show a "texture" and unevenness on the secondary image.

Welcome to the forum Steve. I agree with Cladking here, true DD will be quite obvious. You may also be looking at some mechanical doubling too. It would be nice if you could carture a pic of it.

Thanks for the answers so far...I really got to find someone with a camera that can show you exactaly what I'm seeing....it is so obvious to me that there was a second stamping to the west on the S,T,A,T and just slightly on the E and nothing noticable on the last S.....I will promise to find someone with the appropiate camera and will post some pics of it as soon as I can...PLEASE, keep a look out for tthem o.k.?...I really need help on this one....is there someplace reputable that I can send it to be examined without being charged for it. I am a veitnam vet on disability with not much income, expecially to send it to one of the grading companys until I know that it would be worthwhile.

Steve:

Happy New Year and welcome to our little corner of the numismatic world.

I do collect Bicentennial issues and have not heard about at DDR reverse on quarters or halves. There are some varieties on the Eisenhower dollar. But that doesn't mean yours is not a first. It would be exciting!

You may want to contact Ken Potter. He's a well know variety hunter and if you have something, you will give him something to write about for the trade papers. You can visit his website koinpro.tripod.com or send him an email at KPotter256@aol.com.

Good luck!!

Scott :hi:

Thanks...thats where I'm sending it tomorrow(01/03)....hope it doesn't take long...I really feel that this is something very special. I have looked at many, MANY examples of doubling and this one has very strong doubling on several of the letters...and after closer examination, I have found doubling on some of the others words as well...can't wait until this is all selttled.