• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is NGC Tough on Grading SBA's - In the Hunt

6 posts in this topic

I have gone through around fifty packages of 1981-s MInt state Susan B Anthony Dollars looking for a NICE example to send in for my registry set - the only one left to make it complete. This year and Mint is unbelievably hard to get in grades above MS65. My Question to you is, have you sent any in, and how was your experience with them grading these. Do they discount heavily for non distinct talons etc... This example is fresh from a mint cello ... I removed it because it has nice distinct features and fields - with minor hits on its surfaces ... but the talons are somewhat a little to be desired ... Comments ??

50388-1981sSBA.jpg.e28c7ee41ea5d6d909880809e51fd28e.jpg

so you are the 1 with all the mint sets i need :P

Absolutely :)

Looking for anything in particular ?

NGC doesnt seem to care about strike on these. They seem to be looking for eye appeal (whether the coin is hazy and spotted or brilliant) and whether there are distracting marks on the face and head. Coins with a few scattered marks can grade as high as MS66 if the luster is bright and there is no thick haze.

On the SBA, the strike seems to be nearly irrelevant as far as grade goes. I have seen MS67s with no talons at all and mushy hair and feathers. The key for NGC with these seems to be general brightness and clean surfaces - if it is clean and not spotty, a few more marks are tolerated.

As you have obviously found, the 81s is by far the key date in the SBA series in higher grades. I was working on a set in 66, but had to give up because I couldn't afford the 81s. The 81s is also one of the hardest in full talons, with the strike usually being rather mushy.

I know this sounds terrible, but maybe give that SBA you have pictured a quick dip, and you might be able to pull a 66 out of it.

As far as I'm concerned, these SBA's are hard to get in nice shape. I've pulled all my Uncirculateds from mint packaging and none look like they'd challenge even MS63. My 81-s has a little better Talons than the one shown but the fields have a lot more nics than yours does.