• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ouch!

16 posts in this topic

I think a lot of the white marks are toning and not actual hits. I HOPE the marks on the hair are light reflections and not hits.

The fields look clean.

Almost a homer there! No, that coin looks bad! MS62, 63 at best. The thing is, I have over a hundred 1978p's from mint sets and most look better then that P893censored-thumb.gif$ certified MS65. (Cubs win!) It's a tough date to locate in high grade and FS. My best is a MS64 full stepper and it is a much nicer coin.

Leo

WOW It sold for $3.51. Who really cares?
Apparently four of us here plus the auction winner.

And the buyer and seller are forum members.

My point is the seller lost twice the realized price just to get it graded.

Leo says he has over a hundred, most look better.

And if it is rare to find in high grade Why did it sell for only $3.51. The realized price either tells me that it isn't rare or that there is virtually no demand for this coin (hence no one cares). smile.gif

Also the buyer has made 19 posts in 20 months.

My point is the seller lost twice the realized price just to get it graded.

Leo says he has over a hundred, most look better.

And if it is rare to find in high grade Why did it sell for only $3.51. The realized price either tells me that it isn't rare or that there is virtually no demand for this coin (hence no one cares). smile.gif

Also the buyer has made 19 posts in 20 months.

893scratchchin-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif

Almost a homer there! No, that coin looks bad! MS62, 63 at best. The thing is, I have over a hundred 1978p's from mint sets and most look better then that P893censored-thumb.gif$ certified MS65. (Cubs win!) It's a tough date to locate in high grade and FS. My best is a MS64 full stepper and it is a much nicer coin.

Leo

27_laughing.gif If anyone has been wondering, the FS stands for "full steps".

Leo stooges.gif

Hmmm. Are the marks on the holder, or the coin? Doesn't look MS-65 to me, but I don't know much about moderns.

The picture is obviously a bad angle camera shot of the coin. The camera is just beyond the range of the direct line of the light reflecting off the coin. Nonetheless, it's a very revealing way to grade a coin. Any coin can be moved just right to easily see it's marks. The seller was very upfront about the marks but I disagreed with his assertion that the coin was accurately graded. And of course, that's only my opinion.

Leo

Hi Chinook

It depends! As a full step Jefferson collector of 12+ years, I'm always searching for coins to add to my collection. Doesn't everyone do that? I came to this auction and thought the coin looked way overgraded and posted here for your opinion. The point to this thread is no more then another "buyers beware" post.

Leo juggle.gif

That coin looks pretty bad (for a MS65) to me. To each his own but, I can't IMHO (for the life of me) understand why someone would want 100+ 1978 nickels.

That coin looks pretty bad (for a MS65) to me. To each his own but, I can't IMHO (for the life of me) understand why someone would want 100+ 1978 nickels.

Hi Oldtrader

It does sound a little nutty, now that you have mentioned it. Now I need to figure out what to do with the other 20,000 nickels I have sitting around here. What was I thinking when I bought all these blessed things over the last 12 years. 893frustrated.gif27_laughing.gif

Leo

Sorry Guys. I was being alittle too analytical. Even my wife told me to shut up. I realize that we are all in this hobby for enjoyment. I was just a little surprised to see a coin with a 9/0 pop to sell for $3. If this was 100 years old it would be $1000-$2000.

I agree that that coin doesnt look anything like a 65, but I have come to expect very liberal grading practices in modern coins. Perhaps I was just a bit angry that this apparent POS was in a 65 holder.

Please excuse me for my arrogance and apathy.