• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your collecting goals for 2008?

29 posts in this topic

1) Finish a few sets before I start a new one!

a. Silver Eagles. Need about 9 more MS coins.

b. Barber Dimes. Need about 20 more coins.

c. Ike Dollars. Need about 20 more coins.

d. Dansco 7070. Need about 12 more coins.

c. Ike Dollars. Need about 20 more coins.

Isn't that just about the whole set? lol

The set is 32 coins. About half left, which just may require more looking than funds.

1) 1857 ms-63 FE penny (had one and sold it a couple years ago :mad:)

2) 1827/6 capped bust half au-55 - ms-62

3) 1853 A+R seated half au-58 - ms-61

4) any date ms-65 $20 Gold liberty

5) any date pf-63/4 seated half

6) any date ms-63 RD coronet large cent

7) 1893 ms-64 RD indian head

There are too many to list...

I also would like to get my hands on an 1846 horizontal 6 seated half in the au-50 range.

Safe to say my girlfriend is going to kill me this year :makepoint:

2007 was a good coin collecting year for me. I picked up a 1799 $10 U.S. Gold large eagle (small stars) in NGC MS63 and a 1900 $20 Liberty in NGC MS65, both are the high points of my 30+ year collecting career. So 2008 will be hard to top.

There are so many nice coins out there that need a good home, such as a 1921 MS66 Gold Mexican 50 Peso and a 1888-s MS65 $20 Gold U.S. Liberty to name a couple, but I guess for this year its probably best that my collecting goal for 2008 be simply to keep out of trouble with my wife.

Or maybe just maintain the current level of trouble.

Or maybe I could squeeze in just a little more trouble without pushing it over the top.

Ah, I'll just have to see how it goes.

I'd like to get my half cent through dollar registry set up to 99% complete. That goal is expensive but possible.

I'd love to add to my gold type set, but adding an early gold coin is now equal to a mortage on my house. :( At the last the Baltimore show I saw two coins that I could over used. The asking price from both dealers was the same, $125,000. :o

This is a GREAT topic.

Now that I am an "old retired pensioner" at 57, I am starting to go the other way with my collection. My U.S. Type set 1793-late 1800's is good...with of course...many holes and it isn't going anywhere. My music coin set gets a new addition from time to time so it isn't going anywhere either. As a collector from age 7 (and I think I have every darned coin I ever added to my collection for 50 years), it's time to lighten the load. Finished sorting about 2000 foreign coins by country and now working on the paper money from 6 years overseas in Peru and what used to be Yugoslavia. I think here is where the ranks will be thinned. I actually found some fairly decent stuff in my mess, and sold 3 pieces last week on E-Bay.

I didn't want to retire, but because of the kidney transplant, I was essentially forbidden to ever enter another germy classroom so disabled/retired at 57 I am. It makes one take a bit of a different view of collecting. I love the hobby, but I have to also consider what will happen to my stuff if something happens . (MY....how philosophical!) I tell my wife I am going to take it with me...(especially the U.S. set) ...but I bet that here in RI, there is probably a burial with assets tax....or huge fees for coin safe coffins...or worse yet...my plot will become a swamp (don't know how certifieds hold up to "swampage".)

What do I plan to continue collecting? Probably U.S. type, Peru coins and old bills and obsolete Yugoslav currency...along with music/composer coins. (Gee...I guess I may not be headed "the other way" with my collecting after all. I guess one never gets rid of the collecting bug, huh?) Maybe I need to request a bigger pension.....yup...there goes another one of those darned flying pigs...

A Happy, Healthy and Prosperous new year to you al!!

For the weather buffs out there, here in northern RI, we were forecast to get 1/4" of rain today...we're up to 3" of snow and it is still coming down fast...Being a weather forecaster in New England must really suck!

Be well!

RI AL Alan

For the weather buffs out there, here in northern RI, we were forecast to get 1/4" of rain today...we're up to 3" of snow and it is still coming down fast...RI AL Alan

You must not be too from me as I am just across the line in MA. 3" and climbing also :)

To answer the question - Prune Prune and More Prune

No Not Juice - Winston :makepoint:

Good day to you sir

hope all is well

mike

Just a hair from Uxbridge and a whisker from Blackstone. Are we close enough to share coin stories over lunch some day?

RI Al

this yrs goals are:

finish 21st century type set (metal spent) = 8 coins left

finish 20th century type set (new metal) = 3 coins left

finish peace dollar set (ants peacfull coins) = 9 left

I have two goals. The first is to sell some of the coins that have been in rolls for years taking up space and capital. The second is finish the following sets that were started many moons ago:

1. Lincoln wheats in F/EF need 21,42S(MSBN),47S(MSBN);

2. Buffalo in F/EF need 13DT2,15,18D8/7(hence the selling of some coins first)

3. Liberty 5c VG/F need 85,86,89 (unlikely but I will look)

4. Washington 25c EF/AU need 46D&S,54&S,55D,56D,58

5. Franklin F/VF need 48, 53, 55 (while I am looking I may finish the BU set 4 coins missing)

6. WLH F/VF/EF need 19 & 19D, 20D, 21 & 21D, 34D

7. Peace $ AU need 21, 27, 28

Upon completing my lofting goals I will attempt the other sets I have started: winged liberty 10c, Barber 10c & 25c, Indian 1c, Jefferson 5c, SLQ, Morgans, and Type set.

My ultimate goal is to have a complete circulated series sets of as many US coins as possible.

Good Hunting to all in the new year.

introduce more NEW collectors to numismatics

increase participation/enjoyment/understanding of the hobby by current numismatists

learn more about obsolete notes in uncut sheet form from western ny/ny state

learn more about state colonial/revolutionary war era currency

learn more about any pre federal coinage from the state of massachusetts bay colony

learn more about gold territorials especially so from the colorado territory

Continue working on the MS Franklin set; 5 coins to go.

Continue working on the 1958 Mint Set; 5 coins to go.

Maybe pick up the occaisional coin from 1858 or modern gold commems.

Obtain 2008 P and D One, Five, Ten and Twenty-Five Cent coins to keep the collection up to date.

AND find a 12-hole Dansco page for the 2009 Quarters for Washington, DC and the 5 U.S. Territories tacked on to the end of the State Quarter Program.

One goal of mine will be to pancake Mike (jgrinz) when he finally comes to the Boston show this year!

My main goal will be the same as last year - obtain an 1805 DBH. Others include add to my toner collection, work on my dansco 7070, and buy anything cool that I find.

One goal of mine will be to pancake Mike (jgrinz) when he finally comes to the Boston show this year!

My main goal will be the same as last year - obtain an 1805 DBH. Others include add to my toner collection, work on my dansco 7070, and buy anything cool that I find.

Did you say 'Pancake' :roflmao: - I thought that was BEYOND yer vocabularian expertise ...

Trying to connect with Chris for the 2009 FUN and Maybe the Spring BOSTON ..we will see how it goes .. I will keep you informed

m

Did you say 'Pancake' :roflmao: - I thought that was BEYOND yer vocabularian expertise ...

Trying to connect with Chris for the 2009 FUN and Maybe the Spring BOSTON ..we will see how it goes .. I will keep you informed

m

lol

More of a hope than a goal since good pieces come up in a very hit or miss fashion, but I'd like to make progress on finding better date buffs (mint marked 1920 - 1925) in AU which would more or less round out that collection.

More of a goal is to learn more about seated coinage so I can make educated purchases from those series for my 7070. I fear I overpaid for the one half dime and one dime that I currently have.

I'm also focusing on finding stand-out 64s for my Walker short set instead of coins graded 65. This should be doable and adds a degree of challenge, as 65s can be found at just about any auction or show.

I plan to attend the grading and authentication course in phoenix arizona at the ANA national money show.

When is this?? I'm up in Northern AZ....

...not a bad goal BTW...L

I plan to attend the grading and authentication course in phoenix arizona at the ANA national money show.

When is this?? I'm up in Northern AZ....

...not a bad goal BTW...L

The ANA's National Money Show will be March 7-9 in Phoenix. Click here for more information

Scott :hi: