• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

better coins from mint set or.....

15 posts in this topic

im wondering what others think.

what has better coins.

roll from mint

or

mint sets

say im trying to find a nice ms69 2001 p sac. where would i find the best coins? and arent all coins made the same way?

pf made specific way and ms made a specific way? they dont have any special way for roll coins vs set coins do they?

i think you would be better off buying a 69 coin. the mint sets and rolls from the mint MAY get you a 69 grade but you would have to search a lot of coins. if you are talking about a tpg 69 then this really applies. the money you would spend on submissions wouldn't be worth it. jmo :popcorn:

steve

You have to remember that the last three years the mint sets are different coins than found in rolls or bags purchased from the mint or a bank. It is going to be harder to find a business strike MS69 than a mint set MS69.

Many of the coins that came in Mint Sets from 1970s and 1980s were truly awful. It almost looked as if the mint took the WORST coins and put them into mint sets. Therefore you might do as well with selected roll coins as you will from many mint set coins.

As another person said, the coins that currently come in mint sets get special treatment and will almost all be better than roll coins.

thank you ! this helps alot. ive been looking for the "pricey coins" and "type coins" and it helps to know all this and here is from many sides!

There are a lot of variables with one of the biggest being your definition of "best". If you're looking for clean coins then some don't really appear in mint sets and if you're looking for well made coins most are elusive in rolls. There are also numerous differences between different years/ mints/ denominations.

A good rule of thumb is that most all of the well made coins go into mint sets. Sure, there are exceptions but in point of fact most of these exceptions are irrelevant since every single coin that was well made went into circulation. These can be exceedingly rare and few coins have been saved for many decades. Generally at least some mint set coins will also be clean or nearly so. Hence in many cases there is no alternative to mint sets for gems. But, as BillJones said, many of these coins will look just awful. You'll be in for looking at a lot of sets to find gems. Figure about 2% are gem and many of the rest will be scratched up badly and often corroded as well. Some are far more difficult than 2% though. The '76 type I dollar is probably among the worst and you'll look at around 800 original sets to find a gem. This means about 1400 of the sets you see kicking around on the market.

But, Ikes can actually be easier to find in rolls as gems. Mint set Ikes tend to almost all be scratched and this doesn't apply to the rolls. Some of the '90's Denver quarters are very gemmy (even PL) in sets but these are scratched too. Finding rolls to search is difficult which is just as well since they tend to be poor.

Since 2005 the coins in the sets are satin finish so are distinct from the circulation issues. 2004 and before mint sets are the best bet and often the only bet. Clad gems in the sets are rarely common but some will account for up to about 8% of issue. This would be something like the '72-D or '68 quarter. Later cents can be exceptionally gem in the sets and can be quite common. The '88-D cent will be gem about 40% of the time and the finest specimens are very clean and look like branch mint proofs. Most of the later zincs come pretty nice in circulation as well.

If I'm not mistaken, and someone may correct me if so, but it would depend on what type you want as to mint sets are Satin Finish and rolls are business strike. Am I correct on this??

Both are probably searched already. You would probably have to search through thousands of coins to find one so it may be cheaper to just by one already graded.

Also I just looked at the NGC population report and there are none graded higher than 68. There are 274 in 68 and a total of 548 submitted.

For the 2001-D there are 4 in 69 with 199 submitted.

You are more likely to find one in a mint set than in a roll, but the coins in the mint set have a different surface finish than the business strike coins do. So a high grade business strike will tend to bring considerably more than a high grade satin finish coin. If all you want is a high grade coin and you don't care about the surface finish then the mint set is the way to go.

awsome now finding unopened and searched throu boxxes will be very hard. at least with the mint roll you know it hasnt been searched.