• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a picture of your favorite coin you bought in 2007 for LESS THAN $50.

45 posts in this topic

Man that is a nice coin. What is going on with the coin in the E of Liberty? Looks like a wave.

Light reflection Dwaine. Beautiful coin Ty. (worship)

I would say my favorites in this category are these two. The image of the Morgan doesn't capture the obverse toning. The obverse is much darker than it appears in the image.

LargeCent-1852Medium.jpg

Morgan-1989-O-2Medium.jpg

My 2007 favorites under $50 are all part of my relic medal collection.

First up is an 1883 Palace of Tuileries medal made from the ruins of a 1564 palace that was destroyed during the Paris Commune uprising in 1871 when they temporary controlled Paris.

FR-Tuileries_1883_Relic-SCHD_Palais-Des-Tuileries_600x380.jpg

Second is a US Treasury Victory Liberty Loans medal which was awarded to volunteers who toured the country raising money to pay for the WWI war effort. Back in those days, American citizens were called to fund our wars, instead of having foreign countries like China fund our wars today.

This is generally widely available but this is the only one I've run across that is unholed so far.

US-Treasury_1919_Relic-SCHD_Victory-Liberty-Loan_600x380.jpg

Last up is an admission token but not really the token itself, which is super common, but the letter associated with the medal which comes from US Navy Fleet Admiral Nimitz asking people to sell medals to coin collectors to raise funds to restore a ship which turns out to be a different ship than everyone thought. Instead of being the first ship in the US Navy, it turns out to be the last ship afloat from the Civil War and was used as the US flagship for several months during WWII. I've only seen the letter offered once and thought it was pretty neat.

USF-Constellation_c1960_1797-Relic-SCHD-Token_600x380.jpg

USF-Constellation_c1960_1797-Relic-SCHD-Token_Nimitz-Letter_800x1100.jpg

Zoins,

Interesting, "Relics Medals Collection", what all does it include. That Constellation with the letter should make Jackson envious.

Irvin, nice Franklin, Ben looking good as always. The more I see these, the more I enjoy and like them.

Rey

Hi Rey,

Many of these medals are made of naval vessels, space ships and other assorted war items. NASA commissions many medals for astronauts, project contributors and collectors. Interestingly, NASA does not use the US Mint for their medals. Aside from those, medals also come in more random flavors, including some ribboned ones to be worn. One of the worn Franco-Prussian War military medals is made of captured military weapons. In 1900, the US Mint made a worn medal made of the old Capitol building (replaced in 1800) and White House. More modern ones include the Statue of Liberty copper during her 1986 restoration and USSR ballistic missiles to celebrate the end of the Cold War.

I find them to be an interesting connection to our past.