• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 3-year search is nearing an end!

38 posts in this topic

I finally found someone who is able to get me a reference book for medals. Did I say book? The set is 8 volumes with 5,277 pages and covers medalists, coin, gem and seal engravers from 500BC-1900AD. $525 shipped!

This has been one of the most difficult searches I've experienced, and I can't wait to start leafing through the pages. Every other lead I have had ended because the cost was in the $2K range, but it was always unavailable.

Stay tuned!

Chris

Congratulations, Chris.

Great purchase. I, too, buy numismatic books(sometimes to my wife's vexation). I believe this bookset will qualify you as a library in itself. (thumbs u

Wow! That's kinda like pocketing the 9-ball on a break! ;)

It's more like running 150 and out in straight pool, but I get your point. (thumbs u

Chris

Sounds like some great stuff.....Way to go, and at a relative bargain price.

You'll be 'the man'.....

Paul

I did a double-take when I saw the price, and I called him in California immediately to confirm it.

Chris

Great news Chris. I bet that will be a very interesting Set of References to have and to look through.

Rey

I was told that all of the artists are listed alphabetically, and if need be, I can also purchase a set of cross references by theme, but it isn't really necessary according to the seller.

Chris

Books can be funny, and you have to work hard. I found a signed Kenneth Lee Cal Gold book a few years back. Just lucked (I say that, but....) into it on the net. I was thrilled. It's one thing to have the book, period. But signed....made my day.

Paul

Forrer? I'll be needing to get a set of those eventually also.

I hope you won't be offended, but I'll give you my source AFTER I have received mine. He said that it would take 6-8 weeks for delivery.

Chris

I hope you won't be offended, but I'll give you my source AFTER I have received mine. He said that it would take 6-8 weeks for delivery.

Chris

Why would it take 6-8 weeks? Does he have to print them first?

Chris

Why would it take 6-8 weeks? Does he have to print them first?

It takes that long to AT the books to make them look old. lol

How should I know? Apparently he has a source for his books, and he orders them as needed.

Chris

It's more like running 150 and out in straight pool, but I get your point. (thumbs u

I had to look up the rules for 9 ball so I wouldn't look stupid. And now I look stupid anyhow. doh!

I had to look up the rules for 9 ball so I wouldn't look stupid. And now I look stupid anyhow. doh!

Absolutely not!

You must keep in mind that I have been playing pool for over 50 years, and I could run 150 balls in straight pool (also known as 14.1 Continuous) when I was 13. I played Willie Mosconi and Luther "Wimpy" Lassiter when I was 16 and some of the world's best players in every decade since the 60's. I am also a certified national referee.

You have nothing to be ashamed of just because you don't know too much about pool. I know people who have been playing for 10,15, 20 years or more and they still don't know anything about the game.

Chris

Chris,

Well there goes the idea/offer to go out for a beer and a round of pool during FUN.

Unless we can team up and scam some folks. :gossip:

Rey

Well, I'm still up for the beer and some pool, but I've never hustled anyone in my life. I quit serious gambling quite a while ago, and if you see my license plate, you'll understand why. It's 9BAWL ........I got tired of the crybabies.

Chris

Absolutely not!

You must keep in mind that I have been playing pool for over 50 years, and I could run 150 balls in straight pool (also known as 14.1 Continuous) when I was 13. I played Willie Mosconi and Luther "Wimpy" Lassiter when I was 16 and some of the world's best players in every decade since the 60's. I am also a certified national referee.

You have nothing to be ashamed of just because you don't know too much about pool. I know people who have been playing for 10,15, 20 years or more and they still don't know anything about the game.

Gee, I didn't really feel stupid, but now I do. ;)

Absolutely not!

Gee, I didn't really feel stupid, but now I do. ;)

Do you play bridge? I don't! Do you play chess? I don't! Can you play the piano? I can't! Are you good on a computer? I'm not!.............and you know what my photographic skills are like!

Chris

Chris

Chris

Oh, when I say "eventually" I really do mean eventually. I'm in no rush. There are enough books in my want list that some have been there for half my life, and that's not necessarily because they're expensive or difficult to find. If I wanted one now I think I could find one for about the same price, and apparently from someone else, since it'd not be coming from CA.

Boy, you guys make me sick! Here I was all ready to bragg about my addition to my library of a signed edition of "Encyclopedia of U.S. Liberty Seated Dimes 1837-1891" by Kamal M. Ahwash and it makes up 1/10th the volume of your libraries in one set of books. Congrats, sounds like you both got a great addition to your libraries. :applause:

Boy, you guys make me sick! Here I was all ready to bragg about my addition to my library of a signed edition of "Encyclopedia of U.S. Liberty Seated Dimes 1837-1891" by Kamal M. Ahwash and it makes up 1/10th the volume of your libraries in one set of books. Congrats, sounds like you both got a great addition to your libraries. :applause:

Jim, you've got to maintain a positive attitude. Don't you think it was better that you mentioned your book in my thread than it would have been for me to mention my set of 8 volumes, 5,277 pages spanning 2400 years in your thread?

Nice pick-up! (thumbs u

Chris

Very nice pick-up Chris....do me a favor please...when you get your books, peruse through the 2400 year 8 volume set and write down all of the medals and pieces with sailing ships, then print it out and email me a copy please....

:jokealert:

Very nice pick-up Chris....do me a favor please...when you get your books, peruse through the 2400 year 8 volume set and write down all of the medals and pieces with sailing ships, then print it out and email me a copy please....

That would take you forever! Sounds like fun ;)

No problem! But, rather than e-mail them to you, why don't I just hand-deliver them to you at FUN 2012?

Chris