• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New project/experiment

21 posts in this topic

Tonight I decided to take some coins that are not worth grading and put them in the small kraft envelopes. I dated the envelope. It will be interesting to see how long it will take the different coins to start getting some toning.

The coins are:

2001 Half dollar

1971 Ike

1921 Morgan

Tomorrow I will take some photos and post and then will take some pictures of their progress.

That is a good idea. I figured it would take some time but I wanted to see how long it took and what happens. I am not putting them in a drawer, they will be sitting out on my desk.

sweet i look forward to the results

please try to photograph the coins on a bi-weekly basis and post updated photos

this is already turning into a great thread :applause:

this way if you are busy it is not overkill for you

so...................................... every two or three weeks and maybe there might not be that see-able of a change in two weeks

Ok, I have put the Half Dollar in a window sill in my bedroom. Not a lot of sunlight gets throgh but some does in the afternoon.

I will try to take pictures at least once a month.

Sorry for the delay, been traveling to Milwaukee on business for three weeks in January. Here are new pictures:

Kennedy:

Picture041-2.jpgPicture043.jpg

Eisenhower:

Picture053.jpgPicture052-2.jpg

Morgan:

Picture050-2.jpgPicture051-3.jpg

Here is another Morgan that has been in an envelope for about 3 months longer:

Picture045-1.jpgPicture046.jpg

Picture044.jpgPicture047-1.jpg

You had better archive this thread. If you do it the way it should be done, the process will take anywhere from a few months if the coin has some sort of reagent on it that has not been neutralized to an indeterminate number of years.

Of course Dr. Sheldon had another method for retoning an old copper coin that had been cleaned that might be a little faster. He recommended that one could place a coin somewhere in his underwear where the piece would come in contact with sweat, oils and other bodily secretions. Of course you weren’t supposed to change your underwear for a very long time … say a full winter ... and naturally you weren’t supposed to bath either. By then there was chance the coin would be restored to its former original appearance. But you probably would not have any friends either … at least none who would want to be down wind from you. :sick:

You had better archive this thread. If you do it the way it should be done, the process will take anywhere from a few months if the coin has some sort of reagent on it that has not been neutralized to an indeterminate number of years.

Of course Dr. Sheldon had another method for retoning an old copper coin that had been cleaned that might be a little faster. He recommended that one could place a coin somewhere in his underwear where the piece would come in contact with sweat, oils and other bodily secretions. Of course you weren’t supposed to change your underwear for a very long time … say a full winter ... and naturally you weren’t supposed to bath either. By then there was chance the coin would be restored to its former original appearance. But you probably would not have any friends either … at least none who would want to be down wind from you. :sick:

daffy2.gifI just had a visual Bill.36_11_6.gif

Well, been some time since I posted to this and thought I would give you an update. Here are the two Morgans:

This one shows the most toning but has been in the envelope the longest.

dhmd21.jpg

dhmd21o.jpg

dhmd21r.jpg

dhmd21s.jpg

dhmd21so.jpg

dhmd21sr.jpg

You could squirt them with Cheeze-Wiz and let sit for a couple of days, then chip off the hardened cheese goop.