• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buffalo Nickels..-..two feathers varieties? pics

21 posts in this topic

I've never found one either, Bobby, after numerous searches. Why are they found throughout the dates. I would have thought they would have been specific to a certain couple of years. Does anyone know why they occur?

Ok... what is the "Two Feather Variety?" Where is this "second" feather?

I feel like I should know, but at 3:30am after watching my new HDTV, the mind is not working! :)

Scott :hi:

Try comparing This picture to the one above.

This is not an area that I am familiar with, but I believe that the tip of the third feather can be found between the longest feather and the neck. (Hope I got that right :wishluck:)

Thanks for that post link Rey. I used to think the Two feather was caused by weak strikes. I guess with over polished dies, that may still be another wording for it. I always look for these as there are a lot of people that do not even pay attention to this detail or even know about it.

Check Ron Pope's buffalo nickel book: The Abraded Die Varieties for photos and descriptions of this type of error.

Michael (pendragon1998) was looking for a 1913, I believe, although this one may be a little nicer than what he wants.

Edited to add: I just re-checked his post on the BST - this coin is actually a lot nicer than what he was looking for. :blush:

Given the information (THANKS EVERYONE!), I found the website varietybuffalos.com. It has a lot of interesting information about various Buffalo Nickel varieties. But one thing that helped was this page on errors and varieties. Although it confirms what has been said here, there is more about Buffalo Nickels errors and varieties that makes it a good read.

Great stuff! (thumbs u

Scott :hi:

The two-feathered Buffalos (like the three-legged Buffalos) are attributable to die states, not die varieties. But I still like them. (thumbs u