• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Howdy Pilgrim -- Latest Acquisition

8 posts in this topic

I'm surprised that Greg M. hasn't already threatened to take that from you Keith! wink.gif

Always warms the heart to add a sweetly toned coin to the collection! laugh.gif

Congrats, Hoot

Hoot,

I decided to take on this collection as an extension of my Type set. I'm looking for toned commems, not the monsters that will cost an arm and a leg, but with just enough color to not be drab. Should be a fairly long process, and will always provide something to do at the local coin shows.

Keith - I'm doing a similar thing with commems. I'd like to build a classic commem type set and have grades MS65 or above and nice toning. This will take a very long time, as some in 65 are outrageously expensive. But I'm patient, and it'll be fun to do over the long haul.

Currently, I have but 3 classic commems: San Diego ('35-S), Bay Bridge, and Stone Mountain. All MS66. (I also have the Calif. Diamond Jubilee, MS63 PCGS, that I'm selling on eBay - nice coin, just not the grade I want). The Stone Mtn. was a butt-ugly coin when i bought it (for a song). I had it conserved with NCS. Although it's bright white now, it is a vibrant and wonderful coin. smile.gif

Hoot

Yeah...I've seen a lot of Columbians with bulls-eye type toning at the rims...I have on with a kinda blue toning that's hard to see under direct light. I guess a lot of Columbians spent a lot of time in albums...