• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Now what do I do?

9 posts in this topic

My brother, bless his heart, knew that I began adding coins to my collection after years of being out of the hobby.

So for Christmas he bought me the "Presidential Dollar Mania" promotion from the Cable Shopping Network! I got the first 3 coins from Philadelphia and Denver mints, 1 in BU, 1 clad in 24K gold and 1 clad in Platinum. Total of 6 coins for each of the first 3 presidents (I don't know why I it didn't come with Madison) in NON-Mint issues for 2/3s of it.

I looked online and they want $24.95 for each new coin that is issued, ending in 2016.

So, please offer suggestions... do I nicely say what is obvious to me? That the coins will never be a good deal. Does anyone think that this set could ever be worth the $750 it would take to keep it going?

The BU's are fine, MS65 and perhaps better. But the clads are simply awful. They didn't come out well at all. I see what look like fingerprints on some. Does this not kill the coin in terms of having an MS issue? Would a TPG even grade a post-mint clad coin?

Please jump in and help me with this. He will be expecting me to keep him informed of future purchases unles I nip this one in the bud soon.

Does anyone think this would be something to even consider?

BTW, can anyone clue me in to where the mint marks arelocated on these issues? I can't see any difference between and of the P or D coins. There are initials "JFM" on the obverse (looking th the Thomas Jefferson) and a "D" with a backwards "3" below is on the reverse. But these appear on all the coins. Then there more intitials on the obverse of some of the others. ( sorry, I don't do the really modern stuff at all)

The mint marks are on the edge of the coin.

Your brother's intentions were good, but he probably doesn't have the knowledge to get you something "good," numismatically speaking, or even something that would fit into your collection.

This is why I told my wife not to get me coins for Christmas. Instead, I told her what books and album I wanted. The surprise factor was gone, but I got exactly what I wanted! :)

First off, you mention the BU's are MS65 but the clads are awlful. All the prez dollars are made of the same type. The only thing different would be the finish, as to, Business strike, Satin Finish, and Proof. I doubt very seriously that these will ever value if that's what your looking for. I know of some that collect the Gold plated and colored coins just for the fun of it. As for your Brother, hey, you grew up together, be honest with him.

It doesn't matter if they are 65's or 70's, the shopping networks are a bunch of sheisters who sell common coins at vastly inflated prices. You will never be able to recover the cost that you pay for them.

Like Bobby said, he's your brother so you should be honest with him and he should understand. See if he can't send them back for a refund and then take the money and go out to dinner together.

Chris

Simply explain to him that these cable shopping networks are full of crooks, and though you appreciate his gift of the first 3 Presidents, you would ask that he not continue to purchase from them.

Well the good news is that I talked to my brother and made him realize that continung this set would be a bad idea financially speaking. Luckily, they have a decent return policy. I am exchanging for a couple of 1986 Silver Eagles NGC MS69, not a great deal money wise, as they could be bought far cheaper elsewhere but should hold up well in the long run.

And now I don't have to continue with future purchases of garbage.

Well the good news is that I talked to my brother and made him realize that continung this set would be a bad idea financially speaking. Luckily, they have a decent return policy. I am exchanging for a couple of 1986 Silver Eagles NGC MS69, not a great deal money wise, as they could be bought far cheaper elsewhere but should hold up well in the long run.

And now I don't have to continue with future purchases of garbage.

My wife bought 2 of those ballistic rolls of Washington dollars awhile back. I made a special effort to avoid seeing the reciept because I knew she got ripped off. I'll admit that the packaging was pretty cool, but not THAT cool. If there were some missing edge lettering coins in there, it might have been worth it. They say it's the thought that counts, but leave the coins,guns, computer stuff, and A/V gear to me...