• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blue Books

21 posts in this topic

I've always collected the Red Books, but my wife bought me a Blue Book for Christmas. I don't quite understand them. Are these values of what coins are realistically worth or just what dealers purchase them at?? (shrug)

Hey, Bobby! Hope you had a great Christmas! :grin:

The only Blue Book I have is a 1981 edition that I picked up in a second hand book store for reference purposes, but in the front, there is a notice which states that the prices are "the average amount dealers will pay for coins (according to condition) if required for their stock." I assume that this is still the case.

I read that to mean that this is what you could expect to get for your coins, on average, if you decided to sell.

Hey, Bobby! Hope you had a great Christmas! :grin:

The only Blue Book I have is a 1981 edition that I picked up in a second hand book store for reference purposes, but in the front, there is a notice which states that the prices are "the average amount dealers will pay for coins (according to condition) if required for their stock." I assume that this is still the case.

I read that to mean that this is what you could expect to get for your coins, on average, if you decided to sell.

I have a 1960 Blue Book which has the same disclaimer in it.

Chris

I've always collected the Red Books, but my wife bought me a Blue Book for Christmas. I don't quite understand them. Are these values of what coins are realistically worth or just what dealers purchase them at?? (shrug)

Speaking of the Red Book, I had to do a double take at the local coin show when I saw a man selecting coins at a dealers table based on the prices (for grade) listed in the Red Book. I certainly wouldn't base my decisions on that.

Chris

I picked up the new one at the last Whitman expo in Atlanta ....I think the Blue book is soo far from reality as to be almost useless other than to prepare yourself for ridiculous offers on coins that are in demand and those that aren't.

For example , an 1877 Liberty with Male indian head-dress cent , is a demand coin , so it will not go cheap by any knowledgeable seller......and on the other end of the spectrum is a common date average circulated 1964 Jefferson nickel that I do not believe a single person calling thenself a dealer would have any other need for other than a soda machine...it is a face value coin ( not counting its seinage) , but no dealer would possibly purchase it above face - don't need it.

In between are coins that aren't common but aren't readily available either .

These are the coins that they hope to get ( if they have an immediate need for) at blue book prices ....wholesale for stock or to sell at retail and harvest the small profit therein , if any.

The prices listed for those median coins in the blue book just gives you a mid point ....both so you don't get dissappointed and/or so you can kinda see why a dealer is not paying you a Redbook price .

I don't have any idea why I even bought the blue book other than laugh an grins..............(honestly-I needed a picture reference out of it and it's fun to carry around and drive the dealers NUTZ with when you hold it and wave it around while looking at their prices....lol)

........... as most dealers go by daily and weekly and monthly price guides like CDN blue sheet /grey sheet , etc to keep up with what is marginally fair for offering and selling anyway .

I have noticed that some of the prices in the blue book are half and in some case, more than half below what the red book shows. Which neither are in line with the market.

The Blue Book is published by the same company (Whitman) that does the Red Book. The Blue Book came before the Red Book, I think that 1940 was the first year, but it's been next to useless for as long as I can remember. Even in 1959, when I pushed my first cent in to a Whitman folder, the Blue Book was useless. They don’t have any value as collectors’ items so far as I’m concerned, and I’m amazed that Whitman sells enough copies of it every year to keep the series going.

And, yes, I do have a complete “readers quality” set of Red Books, excluding the error books and the special issues that were published for special events.

That's cool Bill. I have redbooks back to 1965 I think. I don't have the ANA special editions. I'd like to get all issues one day! I even have one Blue Book from 1965.

never had a bluebook

don't even know what it is.

my mom bought me a red book when I was ten years old. Haven't had another one since.

now tell me...

when I try to sell a premium quality coin I paid $1,400.00 for, and the dealer tells me they'll buy it for book value at $900.00

are they referring to the dumb a** blue book???

never had a bluebook

my mom bought me a red book when I was ten years old. Haven't had another one since.

now tell me...

when I try to sell a premium quality coin I paid $1,400.00 for, and the dealer tells me they'll buy it for book value at $900.00

I'll give you an example Mike. I looked up a regular 1857 FEC in MS63 grade.

PCGS value- $850

Redbook- $550

Ebay (buy it now)- $800

Blue Book- $350

never had a bluebook

now tell me...

I'll give you an example Mike. I looked up a regular 1857 FEC in MS63 grade.

PCGS value- $850

Redbook- $550

Ebay (buy it now)- $800

Blue Book- $350

Some additional prices just for comparison:

Coin World: $1000

Numismedia Wholesale:$635

Numismedia Retail: $790

Teletrade 3/4/07 - $475

Heritage last six times at auction (average): PCGS - $685 NGC -$642

Anybody have CDN price?

Prices really are all over the board, aren't they?

yes blue books are still printed sold

and if i opened up a coin store to buy from the public i would also buy a blue book and show the sellers my legit buy prices lol

Somebody must like them and use them, because they still print them.

of course!! and i am sure head cheese is also sold at deli's around the country and maybe thousands of pounds are sold a year

but be that as it may i will never buy it let alone eat it lol

and what this has to do with the price of tea in china or legit coin prices; this blue book will never know lol

I am familiar with the Blue Book but have never owned nor used one for anything. Based on the responses here, why is it published and does anybody, dealers, etc. use it in any manner that is useful? I am even more curious now about it?

Rey

yes blue books are still printed sold

and if i opened up a coin store to buy from the public i would also buy a blue book and show the sellers my legit buy prices lol

:signfunny: