• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

James Madison Dollar Coins

12 posts in this topic

I received a roll of 25 James Madison Dollars in my stocking this morning from my Mom. Not being familiar that much with the Presidential Dollar Series, are there any specific errors or other things I should look for? Should I break them out of the roll?

Rey

Well I just went through the roll of Madison Dollars. Seven out of the 25 have the edge lettering upside down. I have looked through Ebay for other listed errorxs. (as I mentioned, I am not familiar with these coins) and I found references to the following: Does anyone know of any others I should look for.

Extra R

Die Chips in S's

Filled S Cud

Starburst Effect on Reverse

Racoon Eye

Lazy Eye

Lettering off the edge

Also can someone explain the difference in Postition A and Position B to me?

I am just finding it fun to go through this roll looking for these.

Thanks,

Rey

Rey, it is not an error if the edge lettering is "obverse up" or "reverse up" because the coins are fed into the edge lettering chamber randomly.

I don't know what Position A or B refers to, unless it has something to do with "obverse up" and "reverse up".

Chris

The A and B side thing is a contrived definition by our friends ATS who decided that a designation is needed for the orientation of the edge lettering. The A designation is for when the tops of the edge lettering is closer to the obverse; the B designation is for when the tops of the edge lettering is closer to the reverse.

IMHO: NGC has is correct by not making the designation since the process is random and is not a function of the Mint doing anything different.

Scott :hi:

Thanks for all of the info. on these. I certainly did not know much about these. My mom meant well with the stocking stuffer. I am somewhat surprised though that during my search for info. on these today I noticed that they are selling what they call the "upside down edge lettering" on Ebay starting at $2.99. Amazing that people are actually paying that for those if they in fact are not an error.

It is always a good day when I learn something new about coins.

Rey

Thanks for that bit of info, Scott.

Rey, those coins starting at $2.99 are just typical examples of an unscrupulous and/or id-e-ut seller making money off of even bigger id-e-ut buyers.

Chris

The A and B side thing is a contrived definition by our friends ATS who decided that a designation is needed for the orientation of the edge lettering. The A designation is for when the tops of the edge lettering is closer to the obverse; the B designation is for when the tops of the edge lettering is closer to the reverse.

You've got it backward. Position A is when the lettering is upside down when the obverse is up (What most people would call upside down edge lettering), and B is when it is right side up when the obverse is up. Don't ask me why PCGS went with that because it seems silly to me.

You've got it backward. Position A is when the lettering is upside down when the obverse is up (What most people would call upside down edge lettering), and B is when it is right side up when the obverse is up. Don't ask me why PCGS went with that because it seems silly to me.

I thought that's what that meant.