• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Merry Christmas to all!!! Centerpiece coin.

16 posts in this topic

This 1802 dollar is the Centerpiece of my coin collection. I bought it about 15 to 20 years ago. It is (woefully under)graded at MS 61 in an old PCGS rattler. I'd grade the obverse a 63 and the reverse a 64 (not that I've got a lot of experience grading DB material). In the summer of 2005 I took it to the ANA convention in SF just to get a feel for what it is worth these days, and was offered between 63 and 64 money for it. It really was quite amusing in that while I was browsing the bourse I literally had dealers following me from table to table trying to either (A) hold on to the coin a little longer, or (B) try and buy it from me. Needless to say, that's the only time that's happened to me. Since then I've taken it to a couple of Santa Clara shows to show to board members. I'll show it to the occaissional dealer there too, and again they all go ga-ga.

The coin is very well struck, with just a little softness in the breast (after all, a lot of material has to get in there). The shield is well struck, so I'm not sure why in the image it's a bit fuzzy, it must have something to do with the scan/picture. The image (on my monitor) is a little darker than the coin actually is. Also, the wings of the eagle have a faint gunmetal blue hint to them. Anyhow, this seemed an appropriate coin to put on this site to celebrate this time of year.

Best wishes to everyone for a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a Happy and Healthy New Year!!!

DrapedBust_MS61.jpg

Wow Sy, absolutely amazing. It certainly would make a great "Centerpiece" of any collection. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful part of history. A truly magnificent coin. (worship)

It looks to be a true Mint State in a series where most of the coins that get called Mint State are really AU. I'd say the coin is an MS-63, and it's well struck on the obverse which is a big plus. It is nicer than the best pieces I have which are graded AU-55 and AU-58.

That's a lot of coin. I wouldn't worry about the piece not having apparently full breast feathers since I do not recall seeing any DB coin display fully rounded and detailed feathers in this region.

Thanks guys, glad you like it!

A couple of points, not every dealer was willing to pay 63-4 money on it, but there was more than one. The MINIMUM grade that ALL dealers in the last couple of years that I've shown the coin to agreed upon was a 62 and more than a few say 63. (There was one dealer say that he knows someone who doctors coins who could get it into a 65). I think one reason that it is such a popular coin is that it hasn't been messed with (or if it has, it was a LONG time ago). Second, I was sorely tempted to sell, as we were talking a lot of money, but being a coin collector first and foremost it was one of those deals where I realized that once I sold it I wouldn't have it (or something like it) ever again. Finally, personally I just like it because the DBHE is my all time favorite US coin design. So, the good Lord willing, I'll continue to hold on to this sucker for at least a couple of decades more.

...I wouldn't worry about the piece not having apparently full breast feathers since I do not recall seeing any DB coin display fully rounded and detailed feathers in this region.
Actually Tom, I was talking about Liberty's breasts. lol They are not quite as rounded as some others I've seen in the series, but are still nicely struck. I was thinking about making another comment here, but better keep this PG rated. :whistle:

EDITED TO ADD: For JustBob, it's 50+ and sunny in the Bay Area.

What a coin and what a bonus getting it so long ago. Heck even an XF is out of my budget in this market.

Being in the Christmas spirit like you are, I think that you should get various colored Sharpie Magic markers and add some Christmas ornaments to it. It would be very cool...for a day anyway. :þ

Like every one else...

...I think this coin is awesome too!!! :cloud9:

Not only problem free, but also has great eye appeal, what else can you say but WOW!?

Very nice Sy, (thumbs u thanks for the post

Skyman,

That's a very well struck coin - very crisp details. Also its

very original and I'm sure its the centerpiece of your collection.

Hard to grade from images, but its a choice coin regardless

of what number anyone assigns to it.

Thanks for sharing it.

Mike