• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Holiday grading contest

36 posts in this topic

I've submitted another batch of medals and tokens to NGC and board members will

again be invited to take a shot at predicting their grades. My order has been at NGC for

a week and once it hits "scheduled for grading", I'll post the 5 medals and tokens

to be graded. This time the winner and the runner-up will each get a pick

from the prize pool below. (It's been a good year!)

In the meantime, have a great holiday!

Mergedgradingprizes3.jpg

sounds great yarm...thanks--and also, that France 5 FCS 1971 may not be the most valuable of the above coins, but it sure would look nice in my collection--the luster is unreal !!!

Here's how to enter! Assign a numerical grade to the 5 medals and tokens

below (assume no body bags). The one who comes closest overall

to NGC's actual grades gets a pick from the prize pool that follows

as does the runner-up. Post your (unedited) grades in this thread or

PM me. My submission has been at NGC for 2 weeks now so grades

shouldn't be too far away!

MergedBHM161.jpg

MergedBHM2658.jpg

MergedCornwallCounty2.jpg

MergedDublin3252.jpg

MergedYorkshireBedale9c.jpg

Winner gets first pick and runner-up gets second pick. In the event of a tie, I'll

post a tie-breaker question.

Prize Pool

Mergedgradingprizes5.jpg

Ok, not mouc knowledge here with World coins but I guess I'll grade them as if US.

#1- MS66

#2- MS66

#3-MS63

#4-MS66 (may BB for color)??

#5- MS66

The fields of all these coins look great to me with a few nics on the Cornwall Count 2. That's the best I can do. thanks for the chance there Yarm!!

Well, it appears the holidays have added a few days to the turnaround down there in Sarasota.

I'm off to the NYInt but will keep tabs on the NGC site and post grades as soon as they are available.

Still time to enter if you haven't done so!

I now realize that submissions received after the middle of Dec.this year faced several

hurdles - the Chrismas holidays, the New Year's holidays and on-site FUN show world

grading. Add to that the fact that tokens and medals are not graded by all world graders

and voila, the weeks just keep rolling by! Nevertheless, I'm not giving up hope and expect

to post grades and winners before the end of the month. ;)

ms66

ms65

ms66

ms64

ms66

Thanks for both the opportunity to win a great prize but also the chance to expand and sharpen our grading skills. I appreciate it :)

Thank you all for your entries! Of course, it's not really possible to grade that well

from images, but everyone was in the same boat.

Now that my submission has hit quality control, I've summarized the entries and

will stick my own neck out on grades.

My take on it is that the first 2 pieces, from 1772 and 1785, are likely MS65.

Head-on shots of these large pieces seem to make them look virtually perfect

but toning can hide a variety of sins. (Bless those who guessed MS67 or MS68!)

For the bunch then I figured

MS65

MS65

MS64

MS65

MS64

After 6 weeks in stasis, things seems to be moving right along now. Who knows, maybe

by Valentine's day, I can mail out some prizes! ;)

NGC's grades turned out as follows:

65PL

65PL

Stinkycheese1 was easily the closest with only 3 points difference between his grades and NGC's (with 2 right on the nose.) Step right up and pick a prize!

Four entries had 6 points difference but Pendragon was closest to the average grade overall so he is the runner-up and picks second!

Thanks for playing!

Bob

NGC's grades turned out as follows:

65PL

65PL

Stinkycheese1 was easily the closest with only 3 points difference between his grades and NGC's (with 2 right on the nose.) Step right up and pick a prize!

Four entries had 6 points difference but Pendragon was closest to the average grade overall so he is the runner-up and picks second!

Thanks for playing!

Bob

That was fun, Yarm. I am especially pleased with guess on #3. I knew it was going to be probably the lowest grade by most guessers but I had faith in it. Something about the quality revealed in the image shouted "sleeper" to me.