• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calling Conder - Doiley Rattler

9 posts in this topic

There is a thread ATS concerning a couple of older PCGS holders. One, a doiley rattler, seems to have everyone baffled. Since Conder is the residence expert, could you chime in and shed some light on this holder? Authentic or not?

Link

I cannot get the PCGS forum to come up, must be server problems.

Perry is correct. This must be PCGS 3, the only slab with the doilie pattern. Someone simply removed the holder surround plastic.

There is a thread ATS concerning a couple of older PCGS holders. One, a doiley rattler, seems to have everyone baffled. Since Conder is the residence expert, could you chime in and shed some light on this holder? Authentic or not?

Link

ATS is down.

I bought such a "transitional slab" myself not long ago.

Link

ATS is down.

That and a black NGC holder and you're all set. :grin:

Link

ATS is down.

Nope. You also need to get a PCGS Regency slab :grin:

Link

ATS is down.

Nope. You also need to get a PCGS Regency slab :grin:

Ooops. I forgot about that one.

6tarvc5.jpg

I've seen the thread, and it is just a damaged PCGS 3 slab. PCGS 2, 2.5, 3, and 3.5 are all just rattler slab shells with an extra plastic border around but not attached to them. Take a PCGS 3 slab, drop it on the concrete at a show ad you have a good chance of breaking the outer band leaving you with the slab seen on the ATS thread.

If you want a real transitional slab, there is at least one transitional NGC slab (Although it may be just a unique error.) There is at least one specimen known of a slab with an NGC 4 front label, with an NGC 2 inner core.

Two other rare NGC slabs are two that aren't in the book (Yet.). The first is what I believe I call NGC 20 which was produced about four years ago. The front label is similar to the current one, but the entire label is in bold font not just the grade. These were produced at the silver dollar show that year and they were only used for those slabs that went through same or next day service at the show. Pieces that didn't get slabbed at the show did not get this label. That means a very small initial production. Then a lot of these were probably cracked out at the show because they didn't agree with the grade, and who knows how many have been cracked since then.

Then there is NGC 21, the only photocertificates that NGC has produced. These were the coins from the 2005 Eliasberg foreign gold coins sale. This sale contained only 1074 lots so that would be the total production of this variety. Then since these were not NGC SLABS, the NGC guarantee did not cover them and they limited their liability on the coins in case they turned out to be fake to a maximum of $100. But they also allowed the coin owners to return the coin with the certificate and a reholdering fee and they would be put into an NGC slab. A great many of these certificates were lost in that manner.