• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does the conservation service do world coins?

8 posts in this topic

I have a nice German 2 mark that has some nice original blue luster that shows in hand but I can't capture in in pics. I think the coin my be worth it to send it off and then slabbed but I don't know anything about this service.

Suggestions?

I have 4 pics of this coin but only 1 is smaller than the 200000 allowed.

49810-1876german2markobv2.JPG.1a720a4068ba6855125c470a8e315708.JPG

I really don't know the value here, my Krause is on the other side of the country right now. But I don't see why NCS wouldn't do world coins, although I am not really seeing any problems on this one.

I don't see any reason for conservation in that pic either.

If you want to reduce the size of the other pics to under 200k, search your software's help to find how to set the compression level. Here is the same pic with 58% compression. 61k now vs. 197k before with little to no visual degredation.

49836-2mark.jpg.f90faf90b71e26a49726c921c05fed73.jpg

I have spent hours looking for ways to change the pics in HP Photosmart and even the software that came with the Nikon. I must be dumb because I can't find out how. I'll look some more.

The Standard Guide to World Coins from 1999 lists the value of this coin at $45 in VF, $250 in XF... and like I said, the coin has a lot of original luster. I think it easily goes XF.

The fields in the pics looks nasty green, the coin in hand looks much better w/hints of blue. I wasn't sure what the conservation services really do, having never used them before.

I think I'll just try different lighting and see what happens.

Does anyone think the coin should be slabbed?

I might be able to help in a couple days when I install that software for my daughter. I'd expect there to be some way to set the compression level, but you never know.

I tend to grade world coins the same way as Canadian. In general, a VF will have light overall wear with some merging of fine detail. They drop into the Fine grades once the stronger details start wearing through. From what I can see in the picture, your coin looks typical for normal wear and not just a weak strike. I'd guess that it would get graded Fine by ICCS and wouldn't be surprised to see it in a VF slab by a US company. I think EF is too optimistic, though.

NCS will conserve world coins. They'll even conserve non-numismatic items like silverware if you want. However, I have no idea why you'd want the coin pictured conserved. It looks fine as is with no apparent need for conservation. As for the grade, I suspect it'll go VF30 or VF35.