• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What coin has the most sentimental value to you?

33 posts in this topic

What coin was the first coin you ever purchased, or recieved from someone that got you started in coin collecting? Also , what coin has the most sentimental value to you?

This is how I started out in collecting gold coins.

In 1997, almost 11 years ago when I was 8 or 9, I saved up my birthday or christmas money (can't remember) and saved up about $90. I went and purchased my first coin,a 1/4 oz american gold eagle. I'm not sure what inspired me to collect gold coins, but oddly, I think it was the cartoon I saw on TV red robin when he got a gold coin for his birthday.

Unfortunately that coin had an extreme amount of sentimental value to me and I sold it (traded it for my Saint gaudens, along with some others). I still wish I would not have traded it.

I regret it to this day. I remember collecting coins before that though too, I remember when I was in 1st or 2nd grade I would go to my friends house and look through her box of foreign coins. She gave me a few of them. Also, when they went to greece they gave me 2 foregin greece coins in a pouch that I still have to this day.

Also, when I was in 4th grade, for my birthday, one of the kids there gave me a korean olympics silver coin. I still have it.

So what coin has most sentimental value to you, and what coin was your first, or got you interested in coin collecting?

:cloud9:

Most sentimental value? That's an easy one - it's a Statue of Liberty commemorative proof that I gave to my father. He displayed it in a prominent position on a shelf, and when he died, my mother gave it back to me.

Well the only thing I have that is sentimental isn't even in my collection. It's a picture framed set of Saudi Arabia coins my step-son bought me in Saudi.

Saudiset.jpg

One of my friends gave me a 1924 Saint in a PCGS MS-60 rattler after I had encouraged him through his hospitalization with pneumocystis pneumonia. I visited every day, talked him out of a DNR, carted his family around, the usual stuff. The gift was totally unexpected, and I treasure it to this day.

One of my friends gave me a 1924 Saint in a PCGS MS-60 rattler after I had encouraged him through his hospitalization with pneumocystis pneumonia. I visited every day, talked him out of a DNR, carted his family around, the usual stuff. The gift was totally unexpected, and I treasure it to this day.

We can know lots of people, and have lots of acquaintances, but true friends are few and far between. Sounds to me like you fit the description! (thumbs u

My mother gave me an 1878 Morgan dollar for my birthday when I was 10 or 11. She chose that year since it was 100 years before I was minted. I used to spend hours reading the Red Book, trying to figure out which reverse the coin was. It wasn't my first coin, and when I traded most of my coins away a couple of years later, I did have the sense to keep the Morgan dollar.

MorganDollar1878Medium.jpg

When my daughter was born last year, I thought I'd do the same thing for her. It didn't take me long to realize there wasn't a dollar coin minted in 1906. So I'm working on a year set for her with each denomination, with each of the mint locations represented. I'd like to upgrade the quarter (and maybe the half) sometime, so I'm keeping my eye out for coins in my poor man collector range.

The half is from Denver, the quarter from New Orleans, and the dime from San Fancisco. The nickel and cent are from Philadelphia, of course.

My wife is expecting our second this summer (due date is my birthday!), so I should be working on a 1908 set around this time next year.

1906Set-ObverseMedium.jpg

1906Set-ReverseMedium.jpg

Stinky,

This is the most sentimental coin that I own. I told this story earlier this year so pardon the repeat:

When I was young, my favorite uncle who got me interested in silver coins(as did my grandfather). He carried an uncirculated 1880 O Morgan in a tiny envelope in a little leather coin purse with a chrome snap. Every now and then he would show this to me and it kept me interested. Unfortunately, he died on my 16th birthday in 1964. Along with many other things he had promised me, my greedy aunt saw to it the will was 'lost' and no one got anything but her. More than 40 years later I received much of my 'lost inheritance' including the coin purse. Truthfully I had forgotten the coin(I can't believe that I did, but I did). Recently, for no real reason I opened this coin purse and it had 89 cents, some chiklets(his favorite treat)a pack of flight matches(5 or 6) and this small envelope. He came by this coin during WWII and had been in this container for over 60 years. I do not know for sure what the envelope did to the coin but I am sure the majority of the coloring was caused by the sulphur from the matches. I have never seen a coin with this 'pinto-like' coloring. But here it is for you to peruse. Sadly, lighting takes away the dark color which is a dark ebony, leaving the tan color as is.

1980Simproperstorage.jpg

Unquestionably it would be this 1835 LM8.1 half dime. My Pop bought it for me as a gift last year. It's the only time I've recieved a coin as a gift and it was even the series and grade range I collect. On top of that it's one hell of a nice looking coin.

1835lm81r2jpgll8.jpg

I'll have to say that is the worst abuse I've seen on a Morgan Irvin.

I'll agree Bobby, just as i found it minus the dirt. I believe it was probably intended as a spur. camel_bt.gif Whoa camel Whoa!!36_11_6.gif

here is 1 of the gsa morgans that set off my whole collecting thing. when my dad passed from cancer my mom said all collectables were mine. there in an unopened box from gsa were 5 gsa dollars. now morgans dont catch my eye much but being it was my fathers it will never leave collection. best one i thaught out of the 5 graded ms62 pl. i miss you dad!

scan0033.jpg

the kool thing is when my mom handed me boxes i had to cut tape and it said dont open. my mom didnt even know he saved stuff like that and the stamp collection is huge! one lil secret he kept! also when i get my peace dollars back he has some nice ones of those thats why i started a ms set of them for my dad! they are looking good and he would be proud!

So, Irvin, do you think the reeding on your Morgan let's us know that a little bit has been shaved off? doh!

Cool looking coin, and the fact that it is a grade school find is even better. :applause: