• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Washington DC to Be Featured on Quarter !!!!

9 posts in this topic

Washington DC to Be Featured on Quarter

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The District of Columbia is getting a place on the quarter's flip side.

After nearly 10 years of lobbying, a measure tucked into a massive federal spending bill passed by Congress will extend the popular state quarter program to the nation's capital as well as five territories: American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.

The D.C. quarter is due in 2009, with a design yet to be determined.

"Can you believe it? How many years have I tried to get that?" said the city's congressional delegate, Eleanor Holmes Norton.

Washington and the territories were left out when a law establishing the nationwide quarters program was passed in 1998. The U.S. Mint began issuing the coins the following year, issuing them in the order that states were admitted to the union. The program was to wind up next year. So far, about 30 billion coins have been minted.

Legislators said not including the district was an oversight. But to city residents, being left out was yet another snub, on top of not having a voting member in Congress and having local laws subjected to federal review.

(After nearly 10 years of lobbying, a measure tucked into a massive federal spending bill passed by Congress will extend the popular state quarter program to the nation's capital as well as five territories: American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.)

Weren't these mentioned?? Well there goes more money for the dansco pages. I have the complete set thru this year of the colored Qtrs also, guess they'll be making a new map for those! :pullhair:

As much as DC Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton pushed (she has introduced bills to do this every session since 2000), Rep. Jose Serrano (D-NY) inserted the measure into the recent budget bill. Serrano, a native Puerto Rican who represents the south Bronx, is chairman of the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Financial Services whose jurisdiction is the Department of the Treasury. This gave him the power to insert the measure. :applause:

I know the people of the District of Columbia are happy. You can tell by reading this article at The Washington Post. I should be able to leave work in a few moments and hope to hear what WTOP, the local all-news radio station, says about this. I am sure they will be throwing :acclaim: at Rep. Serrano!

Scott :hi:

The question remains, "What do you think they will put on the reverse of the quarter?"

Smithsonian?

Washington Monument?

U.S. Capitol Building?

White House?

Watergate?

Matt Kane's?

How about the beavers that escaped from the National Zoo and made their way to East Potomac Park (formerly known as Haine's Point) where they set to the task of gnawing down the Japanese cherry trees that were given to our government back in the 50's by Japan as a symbol of peace.

Chris

I just read the Washington Post article on it. At present, there's no way they're going to put anything on there that's part of the US government, so Smithsonian, Capitol Building, etc. are out. I thought it was humorous they want to put the motto, "Taxation Without Representation," on the quarter, but they realize that it's not going to pass the Mint's filter.

At present, there's no way they're going to put anything on there that's part of the US government.........

Then what? Almost everything in the District of Columbia is somehow related to the U.S. Government. What about the Washington Redskins? No, they moved to Maryland. What about a simple slogan like "Congress doesn't live here!"

Chris