• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PVC in a slab question

5 posts in this topic

I recently bought a coin from ebay that finally arrived today, and much to my chagrin, has a little bit of green pvc-esque contamination (it's an otherwise untoned MS-63). I'm guessing the spot developed relatively recently (ie after slabbing) and it's a small dot (about a millimeter in diameter) so it seems like a good conservation candidate. Seeing as it's already in an NGC slab how do I go about getting it back to Florida?

(I'm guessing NGC does have some kind of guarentees and I've only heard good about their customer service).

I know I could try an ebay return (never fun...and who wants to deal with the hassle of a seller who manages to take a pretty good picture that somehow misses the dot, and fails to mention it). Plus, it's a coin I've not been able to find close to this grade (generally AUs and cleaned to boot) so I'd like to take care of it myself and keep the coin if feasible and not too costly.

I'm sure there is information somewhere on the site about how to take care of this..but I'm hoping someone here could give me the quick answer :)

Cathy

You can send this back to NGC for an "Appearance and Review". You can call them and get the basic info you need or fill out a form on-line. The last time I did it, there's no charge except for your s&h both ways w/ins..

Cathy - that's the problem with slabbed coins - you can't give them an acetone dip!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year my friend. 1.gifc013.gif1.gif

Thanks Roy! At least it's not tarnished ;). But yes, stuck in plastic (considering the dreck this type of coin usually looks like--it seemed like a good idea).

And thank you for the holiday wishes-- a belated Happy Hanukkah and hopefully a Happy New Year for you as well!

Cathy