• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

can we see some large cents! graded prefered!

64 posts in this topic

i would like to see as many large cents that have made a grade as posable. doesnt matter what grade just made it into slab. old metal is a big thing i want to learn. and need to see what the grades look like.

if you have 1 share please.

here is my best looking 1 and some say it can be fixxed and some seem to think its a body bag for sure. i still like it and it has great detail!

normal color:

scan0018.jpg

scan0020.jpg

with lots of light:

scan0019.jpg

scan0021.jpg

When you make the statement, "Graded preferred," you knock out a very large number of the finest known large cents. Early American Copper (EAC) collectors don’t like slabs at all and refuse to have their coins graded.

However having said that here are a couple of coins that now grade, which EAC collectors would say are obviously over graded.

This 1793 Chain Cent, Sheldon 4, the periods variety, now is in a VF-30 holder. Using EAC standards, it is a Fine-15.

1793ChainO.jpg1793ChainR.jpg

This 1793 Wreath Cent, Sheldon 11-C, letter edge, is now in an AU-50 holder. :o EAC would give it a VF-35, maybe an EF-40 with a little push.

1793WreathCentO.jpg1793WreathCentR.jpg

thank you! bring on the raw also but state what you think it is or what it is

Alright, finally us poor people can get involved!! lol Here's mine. I would grade it BB. lol

1805largecent.jpg

Here is an 1814 with the crosslet 4, Sheldon 294. ANACS graded this coin AU-50. NGC refused to grade it because they said it had been recolored. :screwy: It shows what they known about early copper, and yes, that was a kick-back at the grader.

1814CentO.jpg1814CentR.jpg

I have more than a few to share. Rather than post them, please take a look here:

http://www.pbase.com/miker/large_cents

Look in the descriptions for the grades (you have to click on a coin, not a thumbnail, to see it).

Have fun...Mike

Very nice collection, Mike.

Chris

Bsshog40, is there a rim dent that is causing that "bulge" at ED on your 1805 or is that the result of a cud? From the obv picture I dont see evidence of a dent in that location.

Bsshog40, is there a rim dent that is causing that "bulge" at ED on your 1805 or is that the result of a cud? From the obv picture I dont see evidence of a dent in that location.

I think it's a worn spot there Conder. I'll check it when I get home for lunch and let you know for sure!

I took a coule quick pics of both side of the coin that had this on it Conder. the coin is so worn that these edges are smooth with the rest of the coin. There is a dent in the coin but what you say might be cud is right below the dent. I'm ignorant of these so I'll just let you see what you think. Thanks! Edited to add Conder, that these pics are not oppisite each other on the coin. These are in different locations.

lgcentobv.jpg

lgcentrev.jpg

Here is another one with a sad history - An 1853 MS 60 Details - Cleaned (they should have been shot). This is one of the coins that turned into a lesson on "cleaned coins" for me that was part of our collection. If someone had not messed with it, it would be beautiful IMO.

Rey

18531CMS60DetailsCleanedObv.jpg

18531CMS60DetailsCleanedRev.jpg