• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1800 Draped Bust Half Dime

25 posts in this topic

I rarely see these posted and have come to the conclusion that they are the most difficult of the silver draped bust large eagle designs to acquire in relatively problem-free mid-grade circ. Like many of the True View photos, this is lightened and better displays the details. In hand, the coin is evenly darker in color and looks to be original and unbent.

05023971.jpg

You are correct. Among the Draped Bust, Heraldic Eagle silver type coins, the half dime is the scarcest denomination. The mintages were low; the coins often poorly struck; and these tiny coins did not fare well in circulation. Many were bent and damaged.

1800 is the most common date for the type, and it is the ONE DATE that comes well struck most often. Still I think this variety is still rated R-3, which means that only a few hundred pieces are known in all grades.

very, very nice coin. congratulations. beautiful.

edited to add: and I'm glad you posted it because I'm totally unfamiliar with this series and now I feel an urge to read up on these little beauties.

I've been collecting the early half dimes (1792 - 1805) by Red Book variety for more than 35 years. You can see the results of my work here. Bill Jones' early half dimes

I enjoyed looking through your set again, Bill.

I am not planning to do a date set but am working on a draped bust large eagle silver type set. I just have the silver dollar to go, but I need to find the "right coin" to match the rest. The dime (pictured below) could probably use an upgrade.

03493794.html

I've been collecting the early half dimes (1792 - 1805) by Red Book variety for more than 35 years. You can see the results of my work here. Bill Jones' early half dimes

I enjoyed looking through your set again, Bill.

I am not planning to do a date set but am working on a draped bust large eagle silver type set. I just have the silver dollar to go, but I need to find the "right coin" to match the rest. The dime (pictured below) could probably use an upgrade.

03493794.html

Link to image of Draped Bust Dime

i got the coinraritiesonline.com e mail tonight early bird coin listings and they have an 1800 half dime bought raw out of an olde time collection and just back from pcgs graded fine 15

it should be on their website in two days or less unless you call them and get on their early bird e mail listing

i think the scarcest draped bust silver coin type