• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which would you keep & why ... Final!

21 posts in this topic

I doubt I'd ever sell this set, but one never knows. If I did, which should I keep as a momento and why?

The Amon Carter 1875-S [PCGS MS68]. Tied for finest graded of the type. Sultry mint luster with that wonderful Carter periphrial toning. A few ticks, but none that nix the grade.

03674151-copy.jpg

The Legend 1876 [PCGS MS67]. Hands down the finest colored trade dollar I've ever seen - the picture speaks for itself.

1876truview.jpg

The Legend 1878-S [PCGS MS67]. The only coin in my set with an example graded higher at PCGS. The finest of 25 trade dollars discovered in a safe deposit box in Seattle in 1990. I refused to buy the MS68 because this coin was discovered in my home town and because this coin has 'the look' the 68 is lacking.

03674160-copy.jpg

I'm very familiar with that 1876 and, while there are obviously a number of better quality business strike Trade Dollars around, it is the most exquisite that I recall having seen. It makes my heart race and I'd keep it.

I'll take the Amon Carter 1875-S, thank you very much! I love the pristine surface quality and the tasteful color. I do not like the pastel colors on the second coin - a matter purely of personal preference - but I do like the third coin very much also.

Final? Does that mean the fat lady is singing? :D

If I could buy only one of the three, I'd probably take the Amon Carter 1875-S [PCGS MS68]. I'm a sucker for sultry satin luster, and the color on the '76 is a tad too much for me.

On Eye Appeal Alone I think the 1878 is the best looker. The 1875, having none higher may b the better $ coin but I vote number 3. What a "wow" coin!

Give you $20 for it! That's 20X face!

If I have to guess then I will. I like the 1876 due to it's color and it is also of a very low mintage. But as I think about value and the possiblity of a longtime investment, which I know all of these would bring a nice dollar, I would have to go with the 1875s as it being the highest grade of it's type and the only one in that grade.

The 75s makes me drool on the keyboard. All of your coins are drop dead gorgeous but the details/strike on the 75s is fabulous. Very nice collection you are sharing with us. Thank you

I think the details of the 78 are far superior than those on the 75. IMHO

In terms of strike, the 78 is far superior to the 75, yes? Look at the eagles eye and the straw (or wheat), sorry, can't afford to collect these so I don't know what they're called. I'm actually surprised that the grades are reversed on those 2.

My choice would be the 1878S-the Legend would live on at my house. The fields are cleaner, no nicks like the reverse 1875S has, or the lines on the feet on its obverse. The 1876P has too much color with detracting spots all over the reverse. While the 1878S has near perfect eye appeal, IMHO.

I think the details of the 78 are far superior than those on the 75. IMHO

In terms of strike, the 78 is far superior to the 75, yes? Look at the eagles eye and the straw (or wheat), sorry, can't afford to collect these so I don't know what they're called. I'm actually surprised that the grades are reversed on those 2.

Small variations in strike have very very little to do with grade.

I'd have to agree with James on this one... I'm more partial to the toning on the 1875-S as well with the '78-S a very close second. It's simply a matter of persona preference ... but it's already been said... ANY of them would be an incredible type piece.

BTW... I'm sort of sad that this is the FINAL installment!!

Leo