• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My newest gold coins (indian 2.5, indian 10, 2 saints)

20 posts in this topic

I was able to do a trade for most of these items. Overall I find them to be nice. smile.gif Although now I'm holding off on more gold till I see what happens with the market.

1925D $2.5

1926 $10

1914S $20

1915S $20

1925d_obv_ms62.JPG1925d_rev_ms62.JPG

1926_obv_ms62.JPG

1926_rev_ms62.JPG

1914s_obv_ms63.JPG

1914s_rev_ms63.JPG

1915s_obv_ms63.JPG

1915s_rev_ms63.JPG

IMHO do not think that gold will go below $300 again, at least for awhile. Not while our Govmn't can "afford" (according to Donald Rumsfield) to spend $89 billions in reconstructing Iraq.

I love the Saints, better dates, and my guess is MS-63 on the 14-S, and MS-63 or maybe MS-64 on the 15-S. I believe my examples of those dates are sorta the opposite, with the 15-S exhibiting the blazing luster, and the 14-S with the lovely frosted gold tone. The Indian eagle is great too, and I'll reserve judgement on the other one since I am horrible with that series! Congrats!

Jeff,

Neil didn't try to disguise the grades of the coins. You can find 'em out by using your right mouse button and determining their file names.

BTW, I thought the 14S was a 62 and the 15S a 63. But, when I found out that the 14S was a 63, I reasoned that the 15S would be a 64. Well, I got the two lesser ones right...

EVP

BEAUTIFUL...I've been trying to dip into the gold end of things but what scares me is I have no knowledge in this area. Soon I hope to take to plunge. Great looking coins............wish I had one.

Well, the 15-S was close in my mind, it looks to have a nice strike, but the question was whether the few small marks I saw were enough to limit the grade. It seemed a solid 63 with a chance at a 64. At least my grading skills are better than my technology skills! foreheadslap.gif

Yep, 62s on the 2.5 and 10 and 63 on the rest. I have to admit I took your advice, Jeff, and got the 14 and 15. smile.gif The 14 has a look that is almost identical to my 24. But I must confess that it is cool to see a bunch of gold lying on a table in front of ya. There is just somethin' about gold. laugh.gif

Well, it looks to me like you made some good choices, and I am glad you like them! And yes, gold is a lot of fun to look at, though I can't remember the last time I had all my Saints laid out on a table to look at. Maybe I'll try it next time I go to the bank! cloud9.gif

Well, I did pay a bit of a premium over the standard for these as I thought they were a bit better for the grade. I just wish gold would go much further down for a while for me to get a few more. I'm not looking for the coins as investments as much as for the coins and the coolness. Just wishing I could save a few cents...

I recently picked up a few more Morgans, but I'm now thinking again of going exclusively with gold. It's just hard to not be impulsive. tongue.gif

Nice coins, but I am afraid that the gold market is going to stay expensive for awhile. When the Arab World gets upset, the price of gold rises. Plus, the market price on Saints has increased steadily this year. tonofbricks.gif

and I'll reserve judgement on the other one since I am horrible with that series!

Well, you must work for the grading services because they are "horrible" at those incuse designs too....in fact you would probably do BETTER. When someone posts on these boards and asks "Guess the grade" I'd venture to say that is exactly what happens in the grading room with the $2.5 and $5 Indians. Hall walks in and says "Anyone want to guess the grade on this one?"...lol

I wasn't sure about the Saints but if the marks are any indication the $10 is definately < MS63.

The problem here is that I've notice that gold grading takes luster into account quite a bit and doesn't go "too hard" on marks. The pics nwcs has are a bit dark (for me) to judge the luster. Plus, it seems, he used an incandecent light which makes it more difficult..again...for me. From the picture the $2.5 doesn't have enough luster to go MS63 but, like I said, I'm judging from the picture.

All seem to be nice coins and if nwcs likes them that is all that matters.

One thing I'd be careful with, however, is "betting" on the prices. Without question the $2.5's and $5's prices are being manipulated by ONE dealer. OK, maybe not "manipulated" but I'm fairly certain one guy is putting up those recent "+'s" on the grey sheet. Now, keep in mind, some of that has to do with the gold market price but not all of it, IMO.

jom

Common date Saints are the coins most closely linked to gold prices. The other series are much less so. A 1924-P Saint with 196,000 graded by NGC alone certainly is not priced on scarcity.

The problem here is that I've notice that gold grading takes luster into account quite a bit and doesn't go "too hard" on marks.

Yes, that is true due to the inherent softness of the metal.

As for the Neil's QE, you can see numerous scuff lines on the reverse and some scuffing on the Indian's cheek.

EVP

Yes, that is true due to the inherent softness of the metal.

Yup.

As for the Neil's QE, you can see numerous scuff lines on the reverse and some scuffing on the Indian's cheek.

I've seen coins with scuffs like this graded up to MS64.

I saw a 12-P at Long Beach that had a significant hit on the cheek and graded 63 BUT it had 65 luster (which is fairly rare for ANY $5 Indian). So you just never know....

jom

The problem here is that I've notice that gold grading takes luster into account quite a bit and doesn't go "too hard" on marks.

That luster sure counts for alot in high grades. I don't think many that don't collect these really know how much it does. mike smile.gif

I like the MS SG $20's from the 1910's. They are considerably mor scarce than the SG's from the 1920's. If gold ever really heated up, I think that these might rise in price more than the more common dates (1924, 26, 28, etc.).