• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever Have a Moment Where You Don't Know Why You Collect?

29 posts in this topic

For the last 2 days, I've just been like, "Why do I collect coins? Why do I spend so much on small pieces of metal when I could spend the cash on other things?" Or, "What's the point?"

I'm not bipolar, so I'm not about to go out and liquidate 14,000 coins, 'cause I know this mentality will pass relatively soon (maybe after I defend my master's thesis on Thursday).

But, do any of you ever have those days when you feel the same way?

I ask myself that question all the time. Then I realize that I'm just obsessed. I blame it all on my obsession, and lack of medication for it thereof.

Sometimes I do. It usually passes, but there are times when I seriously question the rationality behind spending a couple hundred bucks on a 1 inch circle of metal.

Good luck on your defence, by the way. Mine's coming up next year, so I imagine I'll be freaked out a little by that time as well.

Good luck on your defence, by the way. Mine's coming up next year, so I imagine I'll be freaked out a little by that time as well.

Thanks. My 62-page paper was turned in last Monday and since then I've wanted to do no work, despite the fact that I need to study like spoon to not look like a insufficiently_thoughtful_person in front of my committee. And I stuck in "spoon" myself rather than have the forum filter out my colorful language.

Edit ... okay, I guess the word m-o-r-o-n is considered a bad word on this board ... that's the second spoonage.

Edit ... okay, I guess the word m-o-r-o-n is considered a bad word on this board ... that's the second spoonage.

It would seem that anything even minorly insulting is considered a "bad" word no matter what the context.

I've had occasions when I wondered why I collect coins, but then I would dump the girlfriend and all the negative thoughts would go away.

Yes, if you use the word insufficiently_thoughtful_person, it will be censored. But as astrostu pointed out, you can hyphenate it as i-d-i-o-t and it will be accepted. Or, you can use the phonetic spelling, ideut, and it too, will be accepted.

Good luck on your defense!

Chris

Thanks. My 62-page paper was turned in last Monday and since then I've wanted to do no work, despite the fact that I need to study like spoon to not look like a insufficiently_thoughtful_person in front of my committee. And I stuck in "spoon" myself rather than have the forum filter out my colorful language.

We have ladies and YN's on this forum anyway, so the "spoon" is a good thing for those that don't want to use respectable language.

Just curious, what's your master's in and what's your thesis about? Congrats on coming so far, and good luck fnishing it up.

I'm earning a M.S. in Forest Resources (although since my focus has really been on ornithology, this may change to being a M.S. in 'Wildlife'). My work has been focused on evaluating breeding bird abundance and diversity in residential developments in NE Georgia. I go to neighborhoods selected with GIS based on their age, intensity of development of the neighborhood, and intensity of development in the surrounding 25 km^2 and perform point-counts to record species presence/absence, abundance, ambient noise levels, and a couple other things. I spent last summer doing this and I'll spend summer 2008 doing it as well. In between, I'm TAing, working on my thesis, and getting ready to hopefully graduate at the end of fall semester 2008.

How about you?

I had my last alcoholic beverage 6 years ago and restarted coin collecting 5 years and 9 months ago...I have no illusions about why I collect coins...I'm hard-wired for obsessive/compulsive/impulsive pasttimes...my wife finds my coin collecting to be by far the lesser of the 2 evils....

I had my last alcoholic beverage 6 years ago and restarted coin collecting 5 years and 9 months ago...I have no illusions about why I collect coins...I'm hard-wired for obsessive/compulsive/impulsive pasttimes...my wife finds my coin collecting to be by far the lesser of the 2 evils....

:signfunny:

I have to agree that I think part of my joy that I usually get from collecting (by the way, the feeling that I don't want to collect anymore has fled ... lasted 3 days this time) definitely has to do with my OCD-tendencies of filling in those holes in the set, or checking that item off the list.

Just curious, what's your master's in and what's your thesis about? Congrats on coming so far, and good luck fnishing it up.

How about you?

My MS work is on craters on Mars, where I wrote a program to use topography data to determine crater depth and then used depth and diameter information to test two formation hypotheses for a region (Arabia Terra) along the North/South dichotomy. It's not really MS-specific in my program, it's more the research "comprehensive exam" that you happen to get an MS from en route to the PhD.

and getting ready to hopefully graduate at the end of fall semester 2008.

So you'll be there to watch them DAWGS make their run to the national championship that was robbed from them this year! (thumbs u

Scott :hi:

DAWG Alum (long time ago)

Oh gosh, not another one.... ;)

What? A kennel club?

A alumnus/fan of the University of Georgia Bulldawgs, who provided a real smackdown to Florida and their precious one-dimensional prima dona, Tim Tebow, at the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party in Jacksonville!

Scott :headbang:

I am no Gator fan. (tsk) Perish the thought.

Though I might add that had Tebow, the Heisman winner, not been hurt, you would have likely been beaten like the last six or seven times you played UF.

Kind of like your alma mater has done to mine.

Figure it out yet? ;)

p.s. Sorry to the OP for the tangent. :)

Oh gosh, not another one.... ;)

What? A kennel club?

A alumnus/fan of the University of Georgia Bulldawgs, who provided a real smackdown to Florida and their precious one-dimensional prima dona, Tim Tebow, at the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party in Jacksonville!

Scott :headbang:

Well.....................................

were the cocktails any good?

Chris

I am no Gator fan. (tsk) Perish the thought.

Though I might add that had Tebow, the Heisman winner, not been hurt, you would have likely been beaten like the last six or seven times you played UF.

Kind of like your alma mater has done to mine.

Figure it out yet? ;)

p.s. Sorry to the OP for the tangent. :)

This section is all about tangents!! :makepoint:

:signofftopic:

No... don't tell me you went to the North Avenue Trade School?!

Just down the road from the Greasy V (The Varsity)? doh!

Scott :hi: