• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you debate over a price difference $17.00 from a BIN/OFFER

22 posts in this topic

I am loking at another coin this morning ( having fun ) with a BIN of $167.00

and I have offered $150 for the coin.

This coin right now is in a Older NGC holder desingated with a (w). As most know this would , under designation review , reholder as a "*" most of the time.

If desingated as a "*" that would make this coin a 1/6 with ONE finer.

DO YOU JUST HIT THE BUY IT NOW BUTTON ??? OR ARE YOU THE PROVERBIAL BARGAIN HUNTER AND HOPE FOR THE OFFER ACCEPTANCE !

:)

This coin right now is in a Older NGC holder desingated with a (w). As most know this would , under designation review , reholder as a "*" most of the time.

DO YOU JUST HIT THE BUY IT NOW BUTTON ??? OR ARE YOU THE PROVERBIAL BARGAIN HUNTER AND HOPE FOR THE OFFER ACCEPTANCE !

I thought that "W" stood for "white" and that shouldn't necessarily have ANYTHING to do with whether a coin receives a star for extra eye-appeal, upon resubmission.

I thought that "W" stood for "white" and that shouldn't necessarily have ANYTHING to do with whether a coin receives a star for extra eye-appeal, upon resubmission.

In my experience on reholdering (W) coin's (5) - 100% came back with star desingations. The coin in question does have a CAMEO appearance on ONE side which usually is a shoe in for that designation also ... So its a good bet it would ..

I think your sample size is way too small to reach such a conclusion, but I wish you luck. ;)

What sample size ... I dont see no stinking sample hehehe

Your getting the two posts confused!

hm

I think your sample size is way too small to reach such a conclusion, but I wish you luck. ;)

hm

In my experience on reholdering (W) coin's (5) - 100% came back with star desingations
Your "sample size" was the 5 coins which were in "W" holders which later received the star designation. If it had happened dozens of times that might mean something. But 5 times doesn't mean much and I wouldn't count on it happening the next time based on such a small number (sample) of favorable results.

hm

In my experience on reholdering (W) coin's (5) - 100% came back with star desingations
Your "sample size" was the 5 coins which were in "W" holders which later received the star designation. If it had happened dozens of times that might mean something. But 5 times doesn't mean much and I wouldn't count on it happening the next time based on such a small number (sample) of favorable results.

Oh geez your picking on me again ... heheheh ...

anyway here is the coin from the seller

49499-fb7e_1.jpg.c38c68c538da0b4a67dfb0711b980c5d.jpg

I you want the coin, I wouldn't wait for the seller to respond. He has 24hrs to do this. If you're worried about it being sold then that decision would be up to you to take the gamble. Also, I was under the impression that the "W" only stands for white also and does not neccesarily mean that it would get a star. I could be worng, I don't see many "*" coins either. JMO

hm

Oh geez your picking on me again ... heheheh ...

anyway here is the coin from the seller

I wouldn't describe that as a "cameo appearance".

This one we can not tell until its in hand ... However I am sure it is "MY EYE for the STARS" that have given me a 100% success rate for the ones I did send in

:popcorn:

I did the buy now on this coin as it makes my set more uniform and if stars - great

If not thats okay too ...

here is the complete holder and This coin will be improving this set below...

I still need a 10c in MS68 anyone ??

sig.jpg

49504-fb7e_1.jpg.6078f27b6c3a55405ea2d8e3354dab84.jpg

I you want the coin, I wouldn't wait for the seller to respond. He has 24hrs to do this. If you're worried about it being sold then that decision would be up to you to take the gamble. Also, I was under the impression that the "W" only stands for white also and does not neccesarily mean that it would get a star. I could be worng, I don't see many "*" coins either. JMO

The seller has 48 hours to respond.

Mike, if the coin is designated (w), that simply means that it is free of toning. I agree with Mark, your sample size is too small to make such a large assumption about the coin coming back STAR designated.

I don't want to pile on Mike...... hm

but I agree with everyone that the "W" has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the coin, it simply means that the coin is fee of toning. If you purchased premium quality or borderline Cameo coins that happened to have the "W" designation then it was purely coincidental that they received the star upon submission. I would however go after more "W" notated coin is you have an eye to spot star quality material with a high percentage of confidence (thumbs u

As for the coin in question.....if its a coin I want for my collection, I am not going to let $17.00 hold me back from a purchase. If you are looking for a flip opportunity....I don't know if I could make an accurate judgement based on the image you posted (shrug)

It would depend on the situation.First I look to see if I need the coin. I am not interested in reselling it but for a collection. I always look at other sources.I was recently looking for a 1921 S Morgan already slabbed and in at least MS64.There have not been that many up for bid on either E Bay or Teletrade although there are a few BINS in MS64 on Ebay.

The next think I look at is Price and how the prices compare with a source say the Numismedia value.I look at other outlets such as outside dealers that I have had good dealings with in the past as well as others since it is an already slabbed coin by NGC.

The cheapest on Ebay in this instance was $155.00 and I picked it up outside of Ebay for $125.00

If I needed the particular date and grade and the only place I could get it was a BIN on Ebay and the values are in line then a 10% difference would not be out of line.I out in an offer once and the Seller did not respond until almost the last minute and refused the offer. Meanwhile I could have purchased the same date and grade during the time I was waiting for a reply.Some sellers will respond in a short time and some will wait.If they have a better offer or think they can do better then you may be out of luck.

If I already have the coin in the same year and grade but see really good bargain then I might purchase it anyway. You did not mention how $167.00 related to say the Numismedia value.If I needed the coin and the Numismedia value was $165.00 or $170.00 or more then I wouldn't quibble over it.

I, personally, wouldn't quibble about that amount of money. I find quibbling about money in almost all cases to be unnecessary and self-defeating. But that's just me...Mike

p.s. I'm with Mark and the rest who say W doesn't necessarily translate to a *. But it does translate to someone who has a good eye for * coins. :)

I don' know what happened in my case. I wanted the coin and if the Seler had said he made a mistake and would split the difference then I would readily have agreed etc.

The problem happens because he couldn't very well tell me he had made a mistake and.........

On the other side I can't take the chance again.He asked me to wait until Monday ot three days later and I did not get to bid on another of the same grade but not a PL and lost out all around.

The guy sent out a Mutual agreement to get back hsi EBay fees stating that we had agreed etc etc. I told EBay that I had received no communication from him on this and was waiting his disposition on the coin. Ebay then told me that since we had not reached an agreement then the matter was closed.

I then get an E mail from the Seller telling me he can't find the coin and asking me to try and contact EBAy for his fees again.

This Seller has been in Business for 35 years otherwise I probably wouldn't have purchased the coin.

I would not have quibbled over the $17.00 for the reasons I mentioned before.

He said it was Cameo on one side, it obviously isn't cameo on the obv, but that doesn't mean it isn't cameo on the reverse.

He said it was Cameo on one side, it obviously isn't cameo on the obv, but that doesn't mean it isn't cameo on the reverse.

There was No picture of the reverse / time will tell with better pictures that I take :)

The coin is in and will have to say it is a striking example of the 1967 Kennedy.

I do not think it will star HOWEVER I may send it in for a reGrade as I think this is a 69 coin ...

I will take pictures later tonight and repost

The coin is in and will have to say it is a striking example of the 1967 Kennedy.

I do not think it will star HOWEVER I may send it in for a reGrade as I think this is a 69 coin ...

I will take pictures later tonight and repost

Does anyone ever wonder if the NGC Graders read these posts? lol

Chris