• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Found an Odd Coin in Change--help..

20 posts in this topic

I found a weird coin in my change the other day...a 1976 dime that is all copper...not struck on a penny planchet, just a copper dime...at first I thought it was just dirty but it's not..I'll try to add a pic later but is this a common error?..I'm not very educated on errors because I haven't much interest..any info would be appreciated..

To be sure, you would need a scale that can measure to.01 gram. A normal dime should weigh 2.268 gms. If it is missing both clad layers, it should probably weigh about 2.07 grams, give or take.

As far as rarity or value, contact Fred Weinberg through his website.

Chris

To be sure, you would need a scale that can measure to.01 gram. A normal dime should weigh 2.268 gms. If it is missing both clad layers, it should probably weigh about 2.07 grams, give or take.

Chris

I think you're underestimating the weight of a clad layer. I don't have any records for dimes, but a quarter clad layer weighs between 0.8 and 1.0 grams (I'd need to check my records). Thus the dime layer would certainly weigh more than 0.1 grams (0.32-0.40 grams probably).

I don't want to comment on the coin itself, as I've not really done enough studying of missing clad layers. I do know that coins missing both clad layers are extremely rare, and it is more likely we are talking about something else here. A sintered planchet is a possibility, and it is possible it just became discolored after leaving the mint. I certainly don't want to comment more on these three possibilities without pictures, and even then I'm not sure if I'd want to comment further.

Chris

I think you're underestimating the weight of a clad layer. I don't have any records for dimes, but a quarter clad layer weighs between 0.8 and 1.0 grams (I'd need to check my records). Thus the dime layer would certainly weigh more than 0.1 grams (0.32-0.40 grams probably).

I don't want to comment on the coin itself, as I've not really done enough studying of missing clad layers. I do know that coins missing both clad layers are extremely rare, and it is more likely we are talking about something else here. A sintered planchet is a possibility, and it is possible it just became discolored after leaving the mint. I certainly don't want to comment more on these three possibilities without pictures, and even then I'm not sure if I'd want to comment further.

What he said. Might also be copper plated or similar. :)

here are some pics...not very clear cause I can't photo small coins very well with my cheap camera...but it is definately all copper..I experimented on a tiny area on the edge and it got orangish..there is no cuni...

49491-MVC-827S.jpg.87a8706ee558b77edbc3a520707beb73.jpg

49492-MVC-828S.jpg.637c99d03b8eeb867f8bc99486c10dfe.jpg

49493-MVC-829S.jpg.64be48a5e6598d55fc93fdc7ccf40b0f.jpg

Chris

I know it isn't going to be totally accurate. I just used a rough estimate based on the fact that the clad portion accounts for 8.33% of the content:

91.67% x 2.268 = 2.0790756 (My mistake! I should have worn my glasses.)

2.268 - 2.0790756 = .1889244

This should be in the ballpark, somewhere. A normal quarter weighs 11.340 gms which is 5x the weight of the dime:

5 x .1889244 = .944622 which is in the same range as the weight of the clad layer on the quarter.

Chris

It can occur in the annealing process when the metals don't bond well. It may be because the sheets of metal weren't cleaned or rinsed properly. Most often it will occur at the very beginning or the end of a roll of the metal when they are punching out planchets. Sometimes the clad layer will separate before the coin is struck, and sometimes it will separate after the coin is struck. If it separates after the coin is struck, the devices are not as clear and sharp.

Chris

Both clad layers missing is defined as: A coin struck on a planchet punched from clad coin metal strip from which both of the clad layers had split off or seperated, either before or after the strike, showing on the struck coin as being underweight by an amount equal to the weight of both clad layers.

Coins with both clad layers missing are certainly scarcer than those with a single layer missing, but are even more likely to be faked with acid. The appearance of the genuine pieces is the same as those with a single layer missing, with an even more reduction in weight. if the coin is normal weight, chances are it's a fake.

a normal weight would be 35.0 grains +/- 1.4 or 2.2680 grams

Courtesy of Price guide to mint errors. Except for the fake part that was all me.

Richard

..........and judging from the photos, I would say it was struck after the clad layers separated. I'd really like to know the weight, because I have a copper blank that is the size of a dime. I believe that it was intended to be a planchet and the clad layers separated. Some people "pooh-poohed" it, saying that it was just a copper slug. I've never bothered to have it weighed, so maybe I will take it to a friend who has a jeweler's scale.

Chris

..........and judging from the photos, I would say it was struck after the clad layers separated. I'd really like to know the weight, because I have a copper blank that is the size of a dime. I believe that it was intended to be a planchet and the clad layers separated. Some people "pooh-poohed" it, saying that it was just a copper slug. I've never bothered to have it weighed, so maybe I will take it to a friend who has a jeweler's scale.

Chris

I completely agree it was struck after, We must have weights, weights I tell you.

Did you compare its thickness with a normal dime? If yours is missing both clad layers, it should be noticeably thinner. Judging from that photo of the edge, it looks awfully thick to be missing both clad layers. The weight will be the key. :)

It's too well stuck to be missing both clad layers. If the layers were missing prestrike almost 20% of the planchet would be gone. No way you would get that good a strike. Discolored coin.

I have to (respectfully) disagree with Rich and Conder. The clad layers only represent 1/12th of the thickness (.1075mm). I just measured a dime, and it is 1.29mm from rim to rim. That would make the thickness of a dime missing both clad layers 1.1825mm. That isn't too great a difference to detect with the naked eye from a photo.

Chris