• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the difference between cabinet friction and circulation-induced wear?

13 posts in this topic

What's the difference between cabinet friction, and high-point rub/light circulation-induced wear?

Is there really a difference? Is it a matter of degree, or is the method by which metal is deformed/removed really the distinguishing factor between the two?

This is a question that I have, frankly, struggled with...and would appreciate the forum's thoughts on this topic.

Thanks in advance...Mike

RGT,

Very observant of you. ;)

I didn't want to go there, but it does beg the question, particularly if you're of the opinion that the method of metal removal is the distinguising factor....

But let's just set that debate aside for a moment....Mike

Well. ignoring intent for the moment, I think Gregg's comments have a lot of merit. I have heard it said that you need to look for circulation on the high points. But in my observations I often see early signs of circulation in the fields more than the high points. A coin rubbing on a flat surface will only show that rub on the high points, but handle a coin or put it in a pocket with other coins and much of the contact is made on the surfaces.

The high points often show signs of a weak strike or cabinet friction, but the fields show circulation.

Well. ignoring intent for the moment, I think Gregg's comments have a lot of merit. I have heard it said that you need to look for circulation on the high points. But in my observations I often see early signs of circulation in the fields more than the high points. A coin rubbing on a flat surface will only show that rub on the high points, but handle a coin or put it in a pocket with other coins and much of the contact is made on the surfaces.

The high points often show signs of a weak strike or cabinet friction, but the fields show circulation.

I concur. Determining whether a coin is high grade AU rather than uncirculated is much like examining pieces of a puzzle and fitting them together.

If I suspect that a coin might be AU based upon what appears to be rub/wear on the high points, I next look at other areas, including the fields for confirmation of actual circulation - contact marks, luster breaks, etc.. Oftentimes, what looks like possible rub/wear on the high points is actually toning/color variations and/or slight softness in strike, among other possibilities. Look at the entire picture.

So if I'm understanding you all correctly, circulation always shows up in areas other than the high points?

I'm not sure that I agree....and I have a pocket full of circulated change as evidence. My own opinon is that there's no real difference -- wear is wear and it is only a matter of degree and gradeflation/market grading has caused a blurring of this topic (at least to me!). Then again, that's why I asked the question....and I am always open to the insights of others.

Thanks to all that have responded, and keep 'em coming...Mike

What's the difference between cabinet friction, and high-point rub/light circulation-induced wear?

Is there really a difference? Is it a matter of degree, or is the method by which metal is deformed/removed really the distinguishing factor between the two?

This is a question that I have, frankly, struggled with...and would appreciate the forum's thoughts on this topic.

Thanks in advance...Mike

There is certainly a difference. "Wear" disturbs luster on all the accessible areas of the coin, which are the high points, and the broadest expanse of the fields. "Cabinet friction" very strictly only affects the (equally) highest points on a coin. It is almost always isolated to three points on any given coin, since exactly three points are required for a coin to rest on a flat surface (such as a wooden "cabinet" shelf).

On the obverse of a Capped bust half, depending on die-marriage, this will include the curl behind the ear, the end of the bust, and either the top of the cap or near the point of the chin.

On the reverse, it is the top of the eagle's head, and a claw on either foot.

ANY rub in the fields CANNOT be considered "cabinet friction".

Edited to add:

I do not agree that "wear is wear" in this regard. A roll of Washington quarters will show roll friction, but it would be foolish to consider this "wear", since it was not caused by circulation. Such a coin can certainly qualify for at least MS-65, if not higher.

Very well put James.

Additionally, contact marks can really be numerous and deep on both silver and gold coins that are truly uncirculated, so I don't know how an exact distinction can be made with the marks of circulation.

I think the distinction between cabinet friction and early circulation wear is a much easier one.

It's already been stated, but my interpretation would be that what we commonly term cabinet friction would be uniform wear on the highest points only of a coin, without associated field disturbances or luster reduction in slightly lower portions of the coin, while circulation wear would have a much greater probability of field disturbances and/or luster reduction along with highpoint wear. However, in many cases it does not matter how someone categorizes these characteristics of a coin, because I generally do not feel comfortable paying MS money for a coin that I believe shows either of these characteristics. Therefore, many great coins and many older coins in high grade holders, which most times have an equally impressive price tag, will not be purchased with my funds. That's okay, because there are many coins out there where I will not feel as though I compromised for the purchase.