• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should the REGISTRY Reward Coin Rarity or Grade Rarity?

16 posts in this topic

Should the emphasis shift from 'Grade Rarity' to 'Coin Rarity'? In other words, should a single digit pop, super high grade Kennedy (MS68 2000-D, as an example) receive more points than a (much) lower grade Key date such as the 1921-S Walker in VF20?

Should there be a shift toward rewarding the Collector with aquiring Key Dates and Semi-key Dates over simple "MS67/MS68" Grade rarity, or do you like the way the weighing system in play works, just as it is?

In some cases it already works that way! I was just looking at the #1 Saint set, and that person just upgraded their 1909 to a PCGS MS-66, and he got 1 point for it! 27_laughing.gif

For selfish reasons I would hope that grade rarity would be rewarded.

For practical reasons, that would wash away much of the bias toward common coins vs truly difficult pieces, they should simply use a combination of price guide and auction values and pre-publish what the contribution of each is. In this way they would be reflecting better what the market views.

Not to mention making the scoring relatively dynamic. Maybe re-evaluating the scores of each item every year. Perhaps some coins that have an explosion in higher grades could have their relative values reduced while other coins that have stayed harder to get could have their values increased. As an example, of course.

I think that the NGC Registry already is double biased. My vote would always be balanced toward scarcity vs. grade, all else being equal. To me personally, scarcity is what drives my collecting to a greater degree than grade. I would go broke collecting Half-Eagles and Saints, if grade were my sole criteria.

Hmmm......

Is my understanding that the different series of coins scores have no bearing on each other ? The scores are just numbers that pertain to the given series so it is impossible to compare a score of a Kennedy against a Walker.

Maybe I am wrong but this did come out in discussions over a year ago.

Ken

I believe also that the points for a specific coin in Set A is distinct from it in Set B. That is, a 47-P Walker in a Type Set may or may not generate the same number of points in a Walker Short Set.

EVP

Almost certainly using different formulas. But unless both reveal exactly how the arrive at their points it's not possible to compare. I do like NGC's method of having big numbers. Leaves more room for flexibility than PCGS's.

This is true. Different series certainly have different scoring criteria. I was speaking more of coins within a set (i.e. an equal grade '25-S Saint scores more than a '25-P Saint). So, within a set, there is double bias (grade and scarcity). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

From day one in the registry, here and across the street, the contention has been that Coin Rarity should get the premium and not Grade Rarity. In the last year or so I believe this has shown to be a logical and sane stance just in the series that I collect.

MS 68 coins have been popping up all over the place and I am sure no downward adjustment has been made by NGC in reference to the population changes and the points awarded. Oh, by the way these 68 are all in the later issues as one would think they would be. More will come also within these later issues as the population of surviving coins has still just began to be tapped for grading.

Yep.....I'm puttin down those Modern Mercs again after 1931. grin.gif

A cross between the way NGC and PCGS does thier registry would be very nice as far as the rankings go. But really now who cares just as long as you like the coins you are taking care of for the time being.

OK I just had to do this one more time. I went to a Merc Set, not mine, and picked out a early date and a late date and compared scores. The first coin a 27D in MS63 gets 764 points and has a NGC pop of 19 with 51 higher. The second coin a 35P in 67FB got 801 points and has a pop of 95 with none higher. That 95 is more coins than have been graded for the 27D in all MS grades almost. 99 is the number of 27D's have been graded in No Bands. Seem fair to you guys ? Myself I do not want to get started on this touchy subject again but I will say that Coin Rarity is not recognized as it should be. JMHO. foreheadslap.gif

Ken

Fairlaneguy: Hey, just saw your set at the NGC Registry. GREAT JOB! Love those pics....

That's how I would have liked to have done my Merc set if I had actually not given up and decided to do gold.

Congrads! thumbsup2.gif

jom

I would like to see grade rarity take a bigger role. For example I can get the same points in my type set for a 1913-s lincoln in 65 red as I can for a 1958 in 65 red. The 1913-s is 1000x the price of 1958. I really don't think you can accurately compare sets with this type of point structure.

I am not sure what the controversy is about. Doesn't the weighting system within sets already reward scarcity, or at least strike some balance between scarcity and grade? In my primary set, Saints, the 25-S I just added in AU was worth 2,463 points. Now for a common date like a 1924 to be worth that many points, it must be an MS-66. Of course that's not a perfect trade off since NGC has graded about 10x as many 1924 coins as MS-66 or higher than the total number of 25-S coins in all grades. Of course others, like the 27-D make no sense, with 20,443 for an MS-65, does anyone here really thing that have such a coin is the equivalent of owning 5 1928s in MS-67? Give me a choice and I know which one I'd take! I know that I am biased, but I believe that people acutally working on a set of difficult coins like Saints should be rewarded for going after the truly scarce or rare issues. Any schmoe with enough cash can put together a common date set in high grade, but try finding some of these dates in any grade period.